1. Ultimate German: Basic-Intermediate by Ingeborg Lasting, Heidi Singer, Audio CD, Texbook, Publisher: Living Language
Ultimate German combines conversation with grammar and culture in an easy-to-follow, enjoyable, and effective format. 40 lessons: lively, authentic dialogues; lively, authentic dialogues; revised and updated with additional exercises, the latest in computers. Reference sections: complete grammar summary with verb conjugations; business and social letter writing; German-English / English-German glossary, 8 CDs, 448-page textbook
2. Hugo Language Course: German In Three Months (with Cassette) by Hugo’s Language Books, Audio Cassette, 256 page Book
Available in both book only or book and cassette format, this self-study program is designed for the individual seeking to acquire a good working knowledge of a language in a short amount of time. Devoting just over an hour daily to the course, the program provides grammar lessons, contextual conversion drills, relevant word lists, and graded exercises, giving you an immediate and practical grasp of the language. In addition, pronunciation is made easy with Hugo’s unique “imitated pronunciation” system, which represents foreign sounds with English syllables. Whether you are a businessman tackling an international account, a student preparing for an adventurous holiday, or simply a lover of new languages, this course makes learning easy and satisfying.
3. Fast and Easy German (Audio Cassette or CD) by Living Language
Good for beginners. A narrator guides you through the program, providing brief explanations of the foreign phrases. All you have to do is listen and repeat after the native speakers. Brief quizzes in this interactive course help you think in German. Lessons include short dialogues so you can hear German spoken naturally. Learn both pronunciation and comprehension skills. To help with memorization, each phrase is spoken twice, with ample pauses for repetition. This 60-minute audio course features more than 300 essential German words and phrases.
4. Essential German Grammar by Martin Durrell, Katrin Kohl, Gudrun Loftus, Paperback: 320 pages Publisher: McGraw-Hill
Lively and easy to use, with clear explanations, authentic examples, and visually appealing tables, this book combines a concise, introductory-level reference book with the review benefits of a workbook to provide students with a solid foundation in German. Distilling essential components of Hammer’s German Grammar & Usage, this versatile guide for beginning and intermediate learners features two-color tables to simplify learning; varied, study-friendly exercises for grammar consolidations; a glossary of grammatical terms; and much more.
5. Hammer’s German Grammar and Usage, Fourth Edition by Martin Durrell, Paperback: 576 pages, Publisher: McGraw-Hill
Extensively revised with new German spelling changes and new usage examples. Instead of getting bogged down in idealized rules, Durrell focuses on how Germans really speak. Included are clear and concise explanations, many examples from everyday life, and comprehensive cross-referencing and indexing.
6. The Concise Oxford-Duden German Dictionary: German-English English-German, Hardcover: 1226 pages, Publisher: Oxford University Press
An authoritative guide to German and English in a concise and accessible format. Contains more than 150,000 words and phrases and more than 250,000 translations. Provides German spellings.
7. HarperCollins German Dictionary: German-English/English-German, Paperback: 448 pages
Offers up-to-date coverage of today’s language with over 40,000 entries and 70,000 translations. The easy-to-use format contains commonly used phrases and idioms, plus irregular verb forms, and the most common abbreviations, acronyms, and geographic names. Targeted to students, travelers, and professionals looking for a quick refresher.
8. Easy Ways to Enlarge Your German Vocabulary by Karl A. Schmidt, Paperback: 124 pages, Publisher: Dover
Modern techniques for building vocabulary efficiently that build upon close relationship of German to English, as well as upon the easy and rational processes that are used in German for word formation. Useful for self-study by student who knows grammatical basics; extensive practice examples with key at rear.
9. Fokus Deutsch: Intermediate German (Student Edition + Listening Comprehension Audio CD) by Annenberg, Hardcover: 368 pages, Publisher: McGraw-Hill
A powerful new resource for teaching beginning and intermediate German. This dynamic new three-level program carefully integrates videos, texts, audio and other supplements to bring German language, history and culture into focus for students.
10. Ultimate German Advanced (CD Pkg) by Living Language, Audio CD & Book
Perfect for the businessperson and anyone traveling or living abroad, this course contains a 400+ page book with eight 60-minute CDs covering 20 lessons. Each lesson includes lively, up-to-date dialogues, vocabulary, exercises, culture notes, and detailed explanations of grammar and usage. Includes extensive business vocabulary and details of business etiquette; Free extra practice on line with more than 100 additional practice sections; Updated with new vocabulary and information about culture and everyday life.