St Mary's University College, London:
Located in Strawberry Hill, Twickenham, Borough of Richmond upon Thames in south west London, England, St Mary's University College (formerly known as St Mary's) is a small, friendly university college in beautiful grounds not far from the centre of London offering the chance to study in peaceful surroundings with expert staff. At St Mary's University College we offer study abroad programmes available as a semester or full academic year as well as international foundation and academic study skills programmes for international students wishing to study at University.
Study Abroad Programme for Overseas Students:
As an overseas undergraduate student, you may wish to spend a semester or a full academic year at St Mary's, studying undergraduate modules together with our home students and other international students.
You can normally select 4 modules per semester within the undergraduate subject areas. The credits you receive for completing the modules can contribute towards your degree from your home university. As a Study Abroad student, you will be fully integrated into the academic and social life at St Mary's. Reasons to choose to study here include:
* Our scenic location by the river Thames in Twickenham is easily the best base from which to explore London, England, the rest of the UK and Europe
* A charming, closely-knit campus community supported by our Catholic ethos
* A supportive, student-centred academic environment
* One of the highest student satisfaction ratings in the country
* A lively social calendar organised by our Students’ Union
* Unrivalled sports facilities
* Safe and affordable accommodation at local host families with campus meal plan included
* Catered Halls of Residence on campus (depending on availability at the time of application)
International Foundation Programme:
Our International Foundation Programme is suitable for you if you have completed secondary school in your home country, your level of English is around IELTS 5 and you want to study at university..
The St Mary’s university preparation course is offered in partnership with either of two institutions – you can choose the one that suits you most. You can enrol as a full-time Foundation student at either of the two colleges and as part of your course, at no extra cost, you will undertake St Mary’s academic study skills modules in topics such as;
* Independent study strategies
* Academic research and presentation skills using a variety of resources and media
* The language of academic discussions
* Note-taking for lectures and for extended reading
* Critical thinking
* Types of assessment at university (essays, projects, dissertations, reports, case studies, etc)
* Writing essays, bibliographies, references
* Avoiding plagiarism
To study these modules, you will spend at least one day per month at the famous St Mary’s campus, using all the University College facilities: lecture theatres, seminar rooms, the Learning Resources Centre (library, PCs etc), the refectory, the cafe and so on.
If you successfully complete the modules you can:
* Get university credits at the level of year 1 undergraduate studies (10 credits per module, 30 credits in total for the full year’s programme)
* Be automatically accepted at St Mary’s for an undergraduate degree course
* Transfer your credits to another university for undergraduate studies if you wish
Foundation Modules in Academic Study Skills for International Students:
Preparing and making effective presentations, taking part in discussions, learning styles and strategies for independent study, research skills, note taking while reading and listening, critical thinking, essay writing, referencing, avoiding plagiarism and more, combined with the opportunity to sit in on lectures, to look at past university exam papers, to talk to lecturers and to take part in campus life
This course is for you:
* if you want to study for a UK degree in the near future
* if you are starting a Foundation, Access, A levels, BTEC National Diploma
or upper-intermediate English language course in September 2008
* if your level of English is equivalent to at least IELTS level 5
Our foundation degree programmes provide a flexible mode of study if you want to further your education whilst in employment or want to study part-time.
Education in Context; Healthcare Chaplaincy; Healthcare Studies; Psychology and Counselling; Sport, Health and Fitness; Youth Ministry
Business Law; Cultural Studies; Drama; Drama and Applied Theatre; Drama and Physical Theatre; Drama and Theatre Arts; Education & Employment; English; Film and Television; Geography; Health & Exercise; History; Irish Studies; Management Studies; Media Arts; Nutrition; Philosophy; Physical Education: BA (ITT) Secondary; Physical and Sport Education (formerly Physical Education in the Community); Primary Education with QTS; Professional and Creative Writing; Psychology; Sociology; Sport Rehabilitation; Sport Science; Sports Coaching Science; Strength and Conditioning Science; Theology and Religious Studies; Tourism; Tourism Management.
St Mary's offers you a wide range of full and part-time postgraduate programmes within a rich and varied research environment and culture.
Applied Linguistics and English Language Teaching – London; Applied Sports Science; Bioethics; Catholic School Leadership; Charity Management Creative Writing Studies; Education – Leading Innovation and Change; Education – Pedagogy and Professional; Values and Practice; Nutritional and Physical Activity for Public Health; Pastoral Theology; PGCE Primary; PGCE Secondary; Physical Theatre (International Ensemble); Religion, Politics and Conflict Resolution; Sport and Exercise Rehabilitation; Theatre Directing.