Fashion Institute of Technology, Manhattan:
Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) in New York City is an internationally recognized college for design, fashion, art, communications, and business. Located in the heart of Manhattan's Chelsea district, our undergraduate and graduate academic programs prepare you for a career in more than 30 fields leading to Associate’s, Bachelor's and Master’s degrees in areas including fashion design, jewelery design, fabric styling, fashion merchandising management, illustration, photography, advertising and marketing among many others.
Undergraduate & Graduate Fashion & Design Courses:
Bachelor Degree Programs include:
- Advertising and Marketing
- Cosmetics and Fragrance Marketing
- Fabric Styling
- Fashion Design
- Fashion Merchandising Management
- Jewelry Design
- Textile/Surface Design
- Visual Presentation and Exhibition Design...
Masters Degree Programs include:
- Fashion and Textile Studies: History, Theory, Museum Practice
- Global Fashion Management Executive Education
- Art Market: Principles and Practices
- Exhibition Design...
Academic life at FIT also includes the liberal arts, study abroad opportunities, evening and weekend degree programs, and online courses. So no matter what your aspirations, dreams and lifestyle, you’ll be able to tailor FIT to meet your needs. Each of our programs combine the practical and the theoretical, giving you the kind of hands-on learning that will create a seamless transfer to the professional world. Our faculty members are not only nationally and internationally recognized for their contribution in their field, they’re engaging teachers dedicated to their students.
We offer a broad range of solutions for senior and mid-level executives in retail, fashion, and related businesses on such topics as creativity, entrepreneurship, and leadership. Our executive programming focuses on the critical skills necessary to the success of your organization and career.
The Fashion Institute of Technology prepares students for professional excellence in design, fashion, and business by providing the premier educational experience that fosters creativity, career focus, and a global perspective.
To fulfill its mission:
- FIT develops students’ aesthetic, intellectual, analytical, and technological abilities through programs that integrate theory and practice.
- FIT offers students a rigorous and innovative curriculum taught by faculty with outstanding academic and industry experience.
- FIT is committed to a broad-based education in the liberal arts.
- FIT exposes students to their chosen professions through internships, guest lectures, industry-sponsored projects, and more.
- FIT promotes student growth and self-development through student support services, programs, and activities.
- FIT provides students with a multifaceted educational experience, which incorporates the vast resources of New York City.
- FIT, an urban institution of the State University of New York, provides an education of exceptional quality and affordability.
Benefits of Studying Fashion with FIT in NYC:
New York is like no other city and FIT is like no other college. FIT and NYC set the pace in the fields of design, fashion, advertising, communications, and international commerce. The city is our campus, our playground, and our muse. Our connections are meaningful for students, industry, and the FIT community. For example:
- You will get unparalleled experience through internships at places like ABC, Calvin Klein, Coach, Cuisinart, Esteé Lauder, Gucci, Mattel, Saatchi & Saatchi, The Museum of Modern Art, Tiffany & Co., and Vogue.
- Industry leaders serve as expert mentors, providing you with real-world guidance. Past mentors include Anna Sui, Arnold Scaasi, Nicole Miller, and Angel Sanchez.
- Whether it’s a showroom visit to see home textiles, a restaurant tour to study interior design, or even a sketching session under the Brooklyn Bridge, you will gain exposure to the industry and to NYC by participating in class field trips. Other sites for trips include museums, galleries, department stores, buying offices, and more.
- FIT hosts an array of luminaries, from NYC and all over the world, who come to inform and inspire the college community. Recent visitors include Giorgio Armani, Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, Martha Stewart, Betsey Johnson, James Galanos, Nina Garcia, and Alek Wek.
- FIT’s dedicated faculty members are influential working professionals as well as teachers—they serve the industry as designers, executives, consultants, freelancers, artists, business owners.
- Clubs will give you the opportunity to explore all NYC has to offer through activities like public art and service projects, and volunteer opportunities.
- Opportunities abound for personal enrichment. Whether you want to explore the nearby Chelsea art gallery scene, wander through the funky boutiques of Williamsburg, or immerse yourself in the established cultural icons of New York, you’ll find countless ways to connect with the life of the city. And FIT’s Student Life department offers programs to get you out there.
To more than 2,300 students, FIT is home. And even though this is New York City, we like to bring a personal attitude to campus living. The Department of Residential Life provides counselors and student staff who live in the residence halls. They are ready to offer helpful advice about going to school in New York. They’re the experts and they’re here to help you.
Our four residence halls – all with Ethernet connections – provide single, double, triple and quad occupancy rooms and suites. All FIT students taking 12 or more credits are eligible to live on campus. Those accepted to Full-Time Degree programs are given first priority. Summer housing is available to all FIT students