The Goethe-Institut is Germany’s worldwide cultural institution. With over 60 years of experience, we have built up a network of 136 institutes in 93 countries, and teach German to nearly 30,000 students per year in Germany alone. We specialise in teaching German as a foreign language, teacher training and developing curricula, examinations and course materials. We provide a wide range of year-round German language programs including General & Intensive German, Exam Preparation courses, German for university studies, Business German, and more. We also provide summer courses for teens and children at 26 locations throughout Germany.
Beginner to Advanced Level German Language Courses:
We offer a wide range of top quality German language courses in our institutes in Berlin, Bonn, Bremen, Dresden, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Freiburg, Göttingen, Hamburg, Mannheim-Heidelberg, Munich, Schwäbisch Hall and Weimar.
Whether you want to learn German for everyday life, your job, to study at a German university or college, or just out of interest, the Goethe-Institut is your partner for learning German successfully through qualified instruction.
An internal and external evaluation system ensures the quality of the instruction. External quality control is certified by EAQUALS (the European Association for Quality Language Services). Our decades of experience and constant development of our teaching methods, the qualifications of our teachers, the regular assessment of our institutes and our entire programme ensure unrivalled quality and the greatest possible success for all learners.
Highly-Qualified & Experienced German Teachers:
All of our German language teachers have the language skills of native speakers, hold university degrees, and are specialised in teaching German as a foreign language. Many have worked or studied abroad, speak several languages and have experience in working with people from a wide variety of countries and cultures.
Course Categories include:
- Intensive German Courses: Learn German the systematic way. Courses offered all year round, for everyone from beginners to advanced learners. Includes 2, 4 and 8 week courses as well as Courses for Seniors 50+.
- Exam Preparation Courses: Our programme includes special courses to prepare you for examinations and certificates such as University entrance examination (DSH), TestDaF examinataion, C2 Exam and ZDfB Business German Exam.
- German Culture and Leisure Programme: Directly experiencing another culture and making contact with the people are essential for a true understanding of the language. Enjoy visiting splendid cities in magnificent settings e.g. Berlin and Dresden.
Specialised German Language Education:
- Premium Courses for Small Groups: These programmes offer you an intensive and varied language learning experience in small groups. Available for companies and individuals. Tailor-made German instruction for maximal success.
- Special Courses for Professionals: Our special Business German courses focus on building the German language skills you need for your work while familiarising you with cultural differences and what you need to know about everyday interactions in Germany.
- Summer German Courses for Children & Teenagers: At our courses in 24 locations in the most beautiful areas of Germany, you’ll meet nice people from countries all over the world and make exciting new contacts. You will be intrigued by the international atmosphere and exciting outdoor activities and recreational programme including music, excursions and sport.
All of our courses include a varied and exciting cultural and leisure-time programme, free access to our media resource centres, accommodation search service and the opportunity to take examinations.
Further German Courses:
- Correspondence German courses / distance learning
- Year-round German courses for groups of students, accompanied by their teacher(s)
The Goethe Institute's examinations are highly respected, internationally recognised qualifications. Alongside general language examinations at all levels, we offer specialised examinations in business German and German for university studies.
"For me the Goethe-Institut, with the intensive instruction and the cultural and leisure program, offers the best opportunity to learn Geman. The fact that the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) keeps sending its scholarship students to the Goethe-Institut to learn German underscores the quality of the teaching"
- Andrés, Peru (doctoral student in philosophy)
"I'm taking the course 'German plus Internship'. In my home country I'm still studying and after that I want to work. I think that it is better for my career to do an internship in Germany first before I look for a job. After the course I'm going back to my home country."
- Chiharu, Yokohama, Japan
"In England I spent seven years learning German – with modest success. Since I started learning at the Goethe-Institut in Freiburg, I’ve come a long way in just a few weeks."
Katherine, Newcastle, UK
Host family homestay, student hostels, hotels, shared flat, private apartments.