Accademia Italiana, Florence & Rome:
Founded in 1984, Accademia Italiana is a top international fashion and design school in Florence and Rome. We provide a range of college education and short-term study options taught in English and Italian that include B.A. bachelor's degree courses, postgraduate diploma (masters) programs, liberal arts academic year / semester abroad programs, monthly courses, summer courses and Italian language & culture programs. Subject fields include fashion design, jewelry design, interior design, graphic design & visual communications, photography, drawing and painting, and more. Bachelor’s degrees are awarded by the University of Wales, a leading UK university. You do not need to speak Italian in order to attend the Accademia Italiana.
Fashion / Art & Design Courses in Florence & Rome:
3-Year Bachelor's of Arts Degree Courses (Awarded by the University of Wales)
Our bachelor's degree programs offer dual qualifications: On successful graduation, you earn a BA (Hons) degree from the University of Wales as well a diploma - advanced level from Accademia Italiana. If you cannot complete the entire study program for any reason, you can request certification of the studies completed. You will receive a certificate of attendance after completing the 1st year exams or a diploma after completing the 2nd year exams.
- B.A. in Fashion Design (Florence & Rome)
In this course, our students, guided by professionals, learn to make their way in the fashion industry both from the design and from the market point of view. Various kinds of fashion are covered during the school's program (sportswear, elegant, casual, avant-garde, etc.), developing both the design capabilities and the technical ability to produce these garments.
- B.A. in Costume Design (Rome only)
This course is ideal if you are interested in acquiring professional training in the world of theatre, cinema and television costume design. You will learn to apply your personal creativity, technical knowledge and artistic skills and be prepared for a career in this exciting field.
- B.A. in Interior and Product Design (Florence & Rome)
Design concerns objects of general use, furniture designed for various destinations and the design of interiors in general. Traditional design instruments will be used together with computer-aided design (CAD).
- B.A. in Graphic Design & Visual Communications (Florence & Rome)
This program integrates traditional graphic design artist training (illustration, lay-out, poligraphic techniques for publishing) together with the development of graphic design directed towards new multi-media systems (internet, etc). During the course, you will enjoy encounters with professionals and experts in the field, as well as external visits and participation in exhibitions.
- B.A. in Photography (Florence only)
In this photography course, you will learn traditional photographic techniques, dark room experience and digital photography. In addition, you will study computer software such as Photoshop, as well as learn about aspects of graphic design and visual communication. During the 3-year program students are invited to participate in exhibitions, conferences and workshops.
1-Year Post-graduate Diploma (Masters) Programs in Florence:
- Interior Design and Product Design - Taught in English:
This 1-year master's program explores new possibilities in innovative interior and product design. Projects will involve domestic spaces and commercial spaces as well as the design object intended as furniture or objects of everyday use.
- Fashion as Art - Taught in English:
Based on the conviction that clothing can be an artistic fact, we offer this 1-year Fashion Design master course with the aim of developing the design capabilities and the professionalism of those students who have already acquired the necessary basic techniques.
- Advanced Course (pre-MBA) in Design and Business - Taught in Italian:
Starting in October each year, this 1-year program unites the studies of finance and economics with the design industry, directing its attention at the world of fashion and the production of design objects. It is ideal for students who plan on undertaking one of the creative professions requiring managerial and entrepreneurial preparation. On completion, you will be awarded a Graduate Business Certificate.
Diploma / Advanced Diploma Courses:
- Window Displays Design Diploma in Florence (1 year)
This course is designed to provide you with the knowledge that is necessary to create a window display design professional who can work both in elegant boutiques as well as in large commercial spaces. The course duration is 2 academic semesters.
- Textile Design Diploma in Florence (2 years)
Textile design is a profession in which creative ability goes hand in hand with technical training. This course covers both the theory and practical side of textile design. The textiles created are sometimes studied for use in fashion design, while others are created specifically for use in furnishings and interior design.
- Drawing / Painting Diploma in Florence (1 or 2 years)
Drawing and Painting program can be attended for one or two years. The course will be held in the artistic laboratory of the Accademia Italiana (art school) and includes lessons of life drawing and nude drawing, of various color and graphic techniques, of experimental materials and of various theoretical and historic disciplines.
- Advanced Diploma in Jewelry Design in Rome (3 years)
Learn the basics of jewellery design through theory and artistic subjects. Learn about the materials, the techniques and the technologies typical to the disciplines linked to jewelry design and goldsmithing. Great importance is given to practical exercises (construction, micro-modelling in wax, embossing and engraving, setting, micro-press fusion and casting).
Semester / Academic Year Study Abroad Programs for US College Credit:
The Accademia Italiana offers semester programs (Spring / Fall), academic year abroad and summer study abroad programs in Florence and in Rome to US college and university students. We provide a wide range of relevant Liberal Arts, Studio Arts and Design courses in both cities which are taught in the English language or are bi-lingual (Italian and English).
- Liberal Arts Courses include: Italian language courses at all levels - from beginner to advanced; Italian Literature; Italian Cinema; Medieval Italy; History of Italian Renaissance Art; Italian Style; Italy in the European Union & more...
- Studio Arts Courses include: Life Drawing; Painting Techniques; Mixed Media; Photography & more..
- Design Courses include: Fashion Design; Costume Design (Rome only); Interior and Industrial Design; Graphic Design and Visual Communications; Photography and New Media (Florence only), and Textile Design (Florence only).
Monthly Courses in Florence:
- Studio Art: Drawing and Painting: Regular course (40hrs per month)
- Studio Art: Drawing and Painting: Intensive course (80hrs per month)
Summer Courses in Florence & Rome - Taught in English & Italian:
- Florence: Creative Product Design; Italian Product Design; Fashion Design - Intensive; Fashion Illustration; Drawing and Painting; Summer Photography School; Photographing Florence; Michelangelo and his Works; Italian language and culture
- Rome: Fashion Design; Fashion Illustration; Drawing and Painting; Roman Archaeological Sites; Masters of Italian Cinema; Italy Today; Italian language and culture
Italian Language & Culture Courses:
Month-long Italian language courses are available in Florence and Rome. We teach students of all levels - basic, intermediate & advanced. Students can choose to attend 40 hours or 80 hours of Italian classes per month.