|Job Description & How to Apply Below|
|FACULTY OF SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY & ENVIRONMENT|
School of Geography, Earth Science and Environment
The USP is one of two regional universities in the world and is the leading tertiary education provider and research facility in the South Pacific. With over 21,000 students around the Pacific region, we are supported by 12 Pacific Island Countries; Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Niue, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu.
The location of the University within the world’s greatest ocean offers a unique opportunity for work in some of the most stunning environments on Earth. The nations of the Pacific and its rim are set to dictate global destiny in the 21st century. We believe that the School of Geography, Earth Science and Environment is ideally placed to tackle the resultant economic, social and environmental issues and to answer the questions of the Pacific Century. For more information visit
Maxumise is assisting our client, the USP in recruiting a Professor of Biogeography.
The Opportunity - Professor of Biogeography
As Professor in Biogeography, you will have the unique opportunity to shape the learning of current and future leaders of the Pacific Region. You will occasionally travel around the Pacific Islands to visit USP’s various campuses and have the prospect of acting in an advisory capacity to governments of Pacific countries and the many Non-Governmental Organisations and Projects in the Region.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Providing academic leadership for the School
• Fostering excellence in research, teaching, professional activity and policy development both within the discipline and throughout the University and the wider community
• Making a significant contribution to all activities of the School and to play a significant academic leadership role within the discipline
• Displaying leadership in promoting and implementing the visions, missions and the strategic plans of the School and the University
• Undertaking research within the broad area of biogeography on issues of environmental change, sustainable management and resource conservation. A specific focus will be on the promotion of sustainable island and ocean development, with emphasis on the impacts of environmental and climatic change and on solutions to these challenges
• Developing postgraduate, undergraduate and in-service programmes for formal and non-formal delivery
• Supervising postgraduate students
• Facilitating collaboration and cross-disciplinary activities across the various sectors of the University
• Assisting the University in dealing effectively with national, regional and international agencies and NGOs on matters relating to physical geography, applied environmental science, policy and governance, sustainable development, vulnerability assessment and adaptation to environmental change
• Playing a key role in externally-funded project development and project implementation
• Discharging any other duties that may be prescribed for the smooth running of the School and the University.
Candidates with innovative ideas and the capacity to make things happen are most likely to succeed in this position.
Preference will be given to applicants who:
• Have significant experience in the South Pacific or other island contexts
• Can demonstrate a proven record of successful liaison with international and national donor agencies
• Demonstrated experience in biodiversity conservation will be of particular advantage.
This is a broad-banded full-time renewable appointment for 3 years. The remuneration package will be in the USP salary range for Professors: F$115,248 to F$124,592 per annum (Inclusive of 15% Gratuity).
In addition to the above benefits, the University contributes 10% of basic salary to an approved superannuation scheme, provides airfare and relocation costs where appropriate.
An attractive inducement allowance may be paid to attract an exceptionally qualified candidate.
How To Apply
Contact: Laisa +679 3303137
How to Apply: Email applications, with the “Professor of Biogeography” as the subject using the Apply Online Box below All applicants must supply: Cover letter and curriculum vitae.
Closing Date: 10th August, 2012.
|Skills / Industry Qualifications Required:||The Person we seek will have: |
• A PhD qualification in biogeography or a cognate discipline
• An outstanding record of teaching, research (including research supervision) and publication
• An international reputation for scholarship
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• A track record of successful grant acquisition.
|Education Level Required:||Doctorate|
|Contact Name:||Laisa Tikoduadua|
|Contact Phone:||+679 330 3137|
|Preferred method of contact:||E-mail via Apply Online Box (below when logged in)|
|Apply for this Job Here|
|You must be logged in as a registered jobseeker in order to apply to this job posting. Log in using the fields below, or Register Here if you do not already have a (Free) jobseeker account.|
|Advanced Job Search - Find More Jobs for Your Skills|