English Writing Skills – Practise Books
We can recommend the following books for ESL purposes;
1. Writing: Student’s Book (Skills for First Certificate S.) Malcolm Mann, Steve Taylore-Knowles; Paperback 112 pages Publisher: Macmillan ELT 2003
The features of the “Writing” volume of this series include: composition development, guiding students through the production of a specific piece of writing; model compositions; and exam practice, giving students the chance to practise what they have learnt as homework.
2. Cambridge First Certificate Writing Student’s Book (Cambridge First Certificate Skills S.) Richard MacAndrew, Cathy Lawday; Paperback 120 pages Publisher: Cambridge University Press
Cambridge First Certificate (FCE) Writing New Edition combines creative practice of writing skills with systematic training for Paper 2. It contains varied, stimulating activities designed to develop planning, checking and revising techniques, while also providing helpful grammar and vocabulary input and practice. Activities within each themed unit lead towards a fully updated exam-style task which enables students to use their newly acquired writing skills and to familiarise themselves with the exam. The book begins with a Foundation unit to increase awareness of key aspects of writing and concludes with a Review unit which draws together the main techniques presented and practised. The aims of each unit are set out clearly at the start, and students are guided throughout by helpful, illustrated exam tips and study hints.
3. IELTS Preparation and Practice Reading and Writing: Academic Module (Oxford ANZ English) Wendy Sahanaya, Jeremy Lindeck, Richard Stewart; Paperback 176 pages Publisher: Oxford University Press 2004
IELTS Preparation and Practice is designed to meet the needs of students preparing to take the IELTS (International English Language Testing System). Each component in the series reflects the format of the IELTS and offers a complete guide to developing the skills required for each module. The series provides comprehensive preparation for and practice of the complete range of skills tested in the IELTS. The contributing authors have extensive experience in teaching English and are accredited IELTS examiners. Now with Practice Tests with annotated key.
4. How to Prepare for the TOEFL Essay (Barron’s How to Prepare for the Computer-Based Toefl Essay) by Lynn Lougheed; Paperback: 256 pages, Barron’s 2003
The written essay is a very important part of the Test of English as a Foreign Language. This manual offers solid preparation, with instructions for organizing details and ideas for a topic, then developing them in clear, grammatical written English. The author provides approximately 185 models essays for students to read and analyze plus exercises in proofreading and editing rough drafts of essays.
5. Sample Essays for the TOEFL Writing Test (Twe) by ToeflEssays.com; Paperback: 160 pages Publisher: Lulu Press Inc. 2004
ETS publishes its official list of TOEFL essay topics on its website. All essays assigned on the actual TOEFL test come from this list. This book contains 400 sample essays with scores of 6.0. Each essay was written based on one of the topics from the ETS official list. The book covers 100% of these topics. Each ETS TOEFL writing topic has at least one sample answer in this book. Students who take the Computer-Based Test of English as a Foreign Language must also compose a written essay that counts towards part of their structure score. This book contains a total of 400 sample TOEFL essays, offering an intensive preparation for this part of the test.
6. Kaplan SAT II: Writing 2004-2005 (Kaplan Sat II : Writing) by Kaplan; Paperback: 368 pages Publisher: Kaplan 2004
Kaplan’s SAT II: Writing 2004-2005 Edition comes complete with a targeted review of all the material on the exam, plus Kaplan’s score-increasing strategies. This powerful combination will help you to go into the test with confidence, and come out with a higher score.
- 5 Full-Length Practice Tests with Complete Answer Explanations and Score Analysis
- An Intensive Writing Clinic with Practice Drills to Help You Create High-Scoring Essays
- The Most Up-to-Date Information on the Test
- Powerful Strategies to Succeed on Every Type of Question, Including Usage, Sentence Correction, and Paragraph Correction
English Exam Preparation Courses around the world:
For Czech speakers: Jazykové koly
For German speakers: Englische Sprachschulen
For Portuguese speakers: Escolas inglesas em Inglaterra
For Scandinavian speakers: Engelska Skolan