The School for Unique Learning, Miami:
The School for Unique Learning is a loving, nurturing and unique school for children entering kindergarten through to seventh grade, conveniently located at the Dave and Mary Alper JCC, Miami, FL. The school provides services to children with a variety of intellectual and developmental disabilities that may include, but are not limited to intellectual disorder, autism spectrum disorder, pervasive developmental disorder, Down Syndrome, William Syndrome and other conditions associated with intellectual and physical disabilities. The school exposes students to age-appropriate class activities with a modified curriculum allowing children to work hands-on while encouraging practical, life and social skills. In addition, the school provides age-appropriate class assignments, small group and individualized instruction, which addresses each child’s needs and abilities.
The School for Unique Learning was created to provide services to those children that need us the most. Founder Johana Sarmiento and Khia Lopez dreamed of a place where all children no matter their disabilities could share one common place where they could learn, share and laugh all while becoming productive members of their community.
To create and provide a nurturing and educational environment for children with intellectual and developmental disabilities addressing the whole child: mind, heart and soul. We encourage close relationship development between class teachers and students, providing a kind of consistency and stability that is rare in other settings.
The goal of The School for Unique Learning is to provide a nurturing environment where students feel accepted and loved for who they are, while maximizing their full academic, physical and social potential.
- Hours: 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. (Monday - Thursday) and 8:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. (Friday)
- Individualized curriculum based on student’s needs
- Student to staff ratio of 3 : 1
- 1:1 Ratio in Mathematics, Reading, and Writing
- Highly qualified certified teachers
- Specially trained staff
- Spacious classrooms with integrated technology throughout
- SMART Board Technology
- On site speech, occupational and physical therapists
- Art, music, physical education and dance
Each student’s experience will include:
* Reading Houghton Mifflin Harcourt program: This reading program address education’s dynamic challenges through individualized content, innovative technology and a holistic approach that inspires achievement and a lifelong love of learning.
* Handwriting Without Tears: Is a proven success in making legible and fluent handwriting an easy and automatic skill for students.
* Scott Foresman Social Studies: This program offers a variety of ways for students to think critically about key concepts through reading, hands-on activities, and technology.
* Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Math Series: This series incorporates interactive and fun learning through music and songs.
* Scott Foresman-Addison Wesley enVision Math: Problem-based interactive learning and visual learning deepen conceptual understanding, with data-driven differentiated instruction to ensure success for every student.
* Scott Foresman Science Series: This program links reading and science skills in every chapter, includes leveled readers for meeting students individual needs.
* Spark-Physical Education program: Applies the lessons learned from rigorous research and subsequent field-testing in the "real-world."
Children are encouraged to utilize their hands and creativity to enhance and maximize their full potential. Our qualified staff create life-long relationships providing consistency and stability in the student’s life. A side from the students core academics; they are exposed to a wide variety of curricular activities including art, music, physical education and dance as part of their weekly activities.
Children in need of extra support of occupational, physical and or speech/language therapy have an option to be scheduled in throughout the week through our in house speech, occupational and physical therapists. An enriched and quiet location is provided in order for the student to receive a meaningful session.
Email: Contact Us
- Courses / Programs
|Address: 11155 SW 112th Ave., 33176., Miami, Florida , USA|
|Search schools here by state/city for Alabama, Arizona-Phoenix, Arkansas, California-LA County/Bay Area, Colorado-Denver, Florida-Miami-Dade, Georgia-Atlanta, Illinois-Chicago/Cook County, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mass-Boston, Michigan, Minnesota-Minneapolis, Mississippi, Missouri-St Louis, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio-Cleveland, Oklahoma, Oregon-Portland, South Carolina, South Dakota, Pennsylvania-Philadelphia, Tennessee, Texas-Houston/Dallas, Utah, Virginia, Washington-Seattle, Wisconsin-Milwaukee & more...
Search career colleges in Canada by province/city in Abbotsford, Burnaby, Kelowna, Surrey, Victoria, Vancouver, BC, Hamilton, Kitchener, London, Ottawa, Toronto, Ontario, Calgary, Edmonton, Alberta, Winnipeg, Manitoba & more...
© 2003-2014 Learn4Good Ltd : Author of websites listing Schools, Careers, Jobs & Travel Booking Engines