Cornerstone Christian Academy, Norcross:
Founded in 2001, Cornerstone Christian Academy in Norcross in Atlanta in Gwinnett County, North GA, educates students from Kindergarten through to Eighth Grade. We cater for students from Norcross, Duluth, Alpharetta, Roswell, Dunwoody, John’s Creek, and several Georgia counties, including Gwinnett County, North Fulton County, and Dekalb County.
- Kindergarten program
- Elementary program
- Lower School program
- Middle School program
At Cornerstone, we consider our curriculum to be of paramount importance to the effectiveness of our classroom instruction, and a key distinguishing factor between private schools and public schools. Public school curricula are dictated by state agencies and county school boards and, increasingly, the federal government. In contrast, our staff spent hundreds of hours researching the most current, effective, and God-centered textbooks available, ultimately choosing those which would also be flexible enough to allow adjustment to individual teaching and learning styles.
Our curriculum presents a balanced view in the areas of history and science. Language arts instruction includes a strong phonetic approach, and in math we emphasize mastery of basic skills before progressing to more complex concepts. In support of our curriculum, we have a fully-equipped computer lab. Most students will utilize the lab daily. All will attend at least twice weekly.
We believe that on curriculum alone, we stand as one of the best private schools in Gwinnett County. Feel free to review our enrichment program and after school program to get a more complete picture of student life at Cornerstone Christian Academy.
Here are just a few subjects covered:
* History & Science: Our curriculum presents a balanced view in the areas of history and science. Biblical truth is interwoven into all studies.
* Math: We emphasize mastery of basic skills before progressing to more complex mathematical concepts.
* Language Arts: English grammar, spelling, reading, writing composition, creative writing, and penmanship, as appropriate for grade level.
The Enrichment Program is an important part of our curriculum.
* Art: Cornerstone’s art curriculum exposes students to a vast and exciting world of art. Art making (actual student art works) as well as art history (learning about different artists) and art appreciation (learning how to “look” at, understand and enjoy visual art). Cornerstone encourages students to enjoy the “process” of making art not simply the “product” of art making.
Cornerstone’s art classes provide an environment for our students to learn new things about art, become excited about making their own art and to simply “explore” their own individual artistic abilities. Just as God has a place for diversity, so does Cornerstone’s art room!
* Athletics: Cornerstone Christian Academy offers baseball, basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, tennis and volleyball as extracurricular team sports. Cornerstone is affiliated with the North Atlanta Metro League, an independent association of more than twenty Christian Middle Schools in Metro Atlanta.
* Computer: The technology curriculum at Cornerstone is designed to enhance classroom curriculum. Through the use Microsoft software such as Word, Excel, Power Point and Publisher, students learn how to take a class assignment and present it in a different format. Our desire is to promote critical thinking skills by using other software applications to create timelines, character webs, Venn diagrams, flow charts, etc.
At times, research projects are assigned which allow students the opportunity to pull information from several online resources. To further enhance the technology experience, keyboarding software is used to teach keyboarding skills and track students’ progression. Additionally, several websites are used to foster reading and develop strong math skills.
* Language: Spanish is taught as a second language for Kindergarten through 8th grade. A basic foundation for conversational and grammatical language is taught in combination with Spanish culture.
* Music: Cornerstone’s Music Program teaches children to express themselves musically by singing, composing, and play instruments. Students also study the rich heritage of music in the church and in our world.
The curriculum teaches the fundamentals of music theory, music history, vocal and choral technique and performance. Students participate each year in public performances celebrating Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. Music is a gift; all instruction and performance is the belief that music is a gift from God given to each of us as a way to praise and worship Him. Music is a powerful means through which we express our humanity, as well as our Spirituality.
* Physical Education: Cornerstone Christian Academy provides a non competitive physical education program. The school emphasizes physical fitness incorporated with team building, cooperation, leadership, games, and sports, for all age levels.
The P.E. program utilizes the school gym, soccer and baseball fields as well as PCBC gym and YMCA pool for additional enrichment for Middle Schoolers.
After School Program:
Cornerstone Christian Academy is delighted to offer an after school program which runs during the schooling season. The hours are 3:00-6:00 on each regular school day and 12:00-6:00 on all early release days, with the exception of Middle School exam days.
Cornerstone teachers lead the program and only Cornerstone students may attend. The students will enjoy a snack brought from home, recreational activities, homework/tutoring time, and free choice time after homework is completed.
* Clubs: CCA clubs meet after school on Mondays from 3:15-4:15, beginning one week after Labor Day. There are three ten-week sessions during the school year. Club participation is optional. Chess, Art, and Drama Clubs will be offered and will be taught by teachers and parent volunteers. Registration details are available at the front office.