Stenden South Africa:
Stenden South Africa located in Port Alfred in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa, is a private higher educational institution offering a three year Bachelor of Commerce degree program in Hospitality Management and a four year Bachelor of Business Administration Disaster Management degree. Stenden South Africa is a satellite campus of Stenden University which is in Leeuwarden, Holland, together with the other satellite campuses in Thailand, Bali and Qatar.
Bachelor Commerce in Hospitality Management degree:
Stenden SA offers a full-time, three-year course of ‘Hospitality Management’. The course aims at fulfilment of management positions in organisations with service and hospitality as their essential function or as an important part of the complete organisation. Graduates receive a ‘Bachelor Commerce in Hospitality Management degree’.
The course content is provided by the programme International Hospitality Management (IHM) of Stenden University Netherlands. IHM acquired an accreditation of the NVAO in March 2006. The educational programme has been registered in the Centraal Register Opleidingen Hoger Onderwijs (CROHO, Central Register of Schools for Higher Education) under number 34411 full-time. Stenden University also offers a Masters degree in Hospitality Management.
Wildlife & Lodge management:
The Wildlife & Lodge management semester, consists of two modules, a theoretical module and a practical module, which are closely connected. You will learn about the following topics.
- Tourism and hospitality from the information office and trip to Tourism Office
- Cultural Awareness – township tour
- Adventure Tourism in the Eastern Cape region
- HIV/AIDS and human resource management
- Safety first in Leisure activities
- Impact of Tourism on the environment around Port Alfred
- South African wine
- Historical Tour: Bathurst as an example
- Real estate marketing and development
- Startup of a game lodge
- Wildlife lodge Entrepreneurship
- Traditional cooking in Black South African cultures
- Traditional cooking in white and Cape Malayan South African cultures
- Field Guiding and related facets
- Reserve management and related facets
- Conservation in General
- World Conservation Threats and Sustainable use of Natural Resources.
- Manage the tourism product
- Manage the tourist
- Make effective use of resources in wild life operations
- Understand the importance of effective reserve management
- Become a level 1 field guide
- Show survival skills in emergency situations in wild life operations
- Understand primary levels of conservation
Advanced Wine Studies:
This minor semester is only for the true enthusiasts of wine. Explore the past, present and tomorrow of an industry as old as humankind. Stenden South Africa, in partnership with the prestigious Cape Wine Academy proudly presents a new semester that opens up formal studies in wine and leads to the threshold of a Wine Masters qualification. At the end of this minor you will be a wine expert and a force to be reckoned with in the wine industry.
Stenden South Africa offers a minor in Tourism Development for those wishing to broaden their industry perspective. Tourism development and its future will be discussed and focus is on regional tourism development in the picturesque Eastern Cape, where unspoilt nature provides excellent tourism development potential. After three weeks of intensive theory, including the tourism supply chain, students are then involved in actual tourism development projects.
Open to all Stenden students from management programmes, the Entrepreneurship semester provides a truly multi-cultural opportunity. This semester combines community development and business management principles allowing students to develop their strategic, training and consulting skills whilst working in a different culture. In groups of 3 to 4 students, students are responsible for consulting and training entrepreneurs in the township of Port Alfred. Workshops, lectures, excursions, project meetings and PBL sessions will equip you with the necessary skills to consult and train local entrepreneurs in creating and improving a sustainable business. Entrepreneurship is offered every semester; module 1 and 2, or 3 and 4.