Portobello Institute Ireland, Dublin:
Portobello Institute is a private college in Dublin, Ireland offering intensive post-leaving certificate training to students of all ages. We offer a wide range of sports therapy, health and fitness certificate, diploma and advanced diploma courses providing training the fields of sports management, gym instruction, personal training, sports massage among others. Full-time, part-time and intensive day courses are available. Some courses are also offered in training centres in Cork and Galway. All courses have been designed to meet the demands of wide and expanding industries where employment is ensured for successful graduates. We welcome mature students and international students to the college.
Courses / Programs:
Full-time Certificate & Diploma Courses:
- Sports Therapy
- Sports and Recreation (Available in Dublin, Cork, Galway)
- Sports Management (Certificate Yr 1) (Available in Dublin, Cork, Galway)
- Sports Management (Diploma Yr 2)
- Sports Coaching (Available in Dublin, Cork, Galway)
- Sports Development (Advanced)
- Sports Science (Available in Dublin, Cork, Galway)
- Gym Instruction and Personal Training
Part time and Intensive Day Courses:
- ISSA Personal Trainer Course
- ISSA Fitness Therapist Course
- ITEC Sports Massage Course
- Anatomy, Physiology and Massage (ITEC Holistic Massage)
- Nutritional Advisor (ITEC Diet and Nutrition)
Work Placement Programmes:
Our aim is to help you gain successful employment in your chosen field. Portobello Institute’s work experience programme for our full-time students provides you with an introduction to your chosen industry, which will then usually pave the way for employment opportunities withinthe industry of your choice. The placement programme will enhance your CV, giving you some experience and your first reference from within the industry. The college assists with the arrangement of the work placement and is under full supervision of the course co-ordinator. The majority of students are offered employment from the work experience company before they graduate.
Why Study Sports Therapy / Fitness? :
The increased public awareness in fitness and the need to exercise in order to lead a healthy well-balanced life has led to a massive boost in the numbers of people participating in sports. This interest in fitness has in turn led to an added demand for qualified sports therapist who have a complete understanding of sport and fitness from training regimes, to the effects of diet and nutrition, to the treatment and prevention of sports injuries and finally to understanding the psychology that will give an athlete the mental strength to win.
Graduates from the programmes available at Portobello Institute can expect to work in the following areas:
- Therapists employed by rugby, soccer, GAA, track & field and swimming clubs, leisure and fitness centres, sports injuries clinics or as a private consultant therapist working with private clients on a freelance basis.
- NCEF Stages 1 & 2: Health clubs, team sport fitness and coaching, personal training, exercise for the older adult.
- ISSA Personal Trainer: Ability to work with client's one-to-one; work freelance within a health and fitness club.
- ISSA Fitness Therapist: Ability to work with people who have completed their prescribed medical treatment and require specialised programming which complements the treatment they have undergone.
Tutors on all our courses are experienced and highly qualified professionals. Each has a minimum of 5 years experience before being considered eligible to tutor. Many of our tutors have run their own private client consultancy companies who can give you the benefit of their experience. All our tutors are certified by our rewarding bodies to ensure quality of the courses.
Location & Facilities:
The college is situated within the heart of Dublin, close to the main shopping areas and less than fifteen minutes walk from the cosmopolitan area of Temple Bar. All Buses and the Luas run within ten minutes walk from the College and train and DART stations are near by. Due to the college’s central location there is a full range of accommodation available to suit your requirements, tastes and budgets.
Portobello Institute's impressive building is made up of bright and spacious classrooms which helps promote a calm environment for learning. The college is fully equipped with a computer laboratory with full Internet connection, audiovisual equipment, overhead projectors and screens and various practical equipment necessary for each course. The college atmosphere is friendly, enjoyable and one of relaxed learning. The college has a student rec room where students can go to get a welcome break from classes and socialise with their peers.