Atlantic School Of English and Active Leisure:
Atlantic School of English and Active Leisure (Atlantic S.E.A.L) is an English language school in the village of Schull in West Cork, South-West Ireland. Schull is located 100km south-west of Cork City (which has an international airport and ferry terminals), and approximately 360km from Dublin. We provide a two-week intensive English language & leisure summer program for juniors and teenagers ages 9-17. We believe expert tuition in small groups, combined with an exciting leisure program that stimulates the mind and body, sets the tone for a successful and pleasurable learning experience.
2-week Intensive English Language & Leisure Summer Program for Juniors & Teenagers - ages 9-17:Each student's age, needs & learning styles are considered and catered for. We offer a level assessment and interview on the first day of your course and then you will join the right class with other students of your level. We want your program to be as 'personally designed' as possible, so we ask you before you come, to tell us what you hope to achieve in your English language program and also what leisure activities you enjoy.
We also find out how you learn - so we can match our teaching methods to suit your learning style. Some students learn best visually while others remember what they hear, others prefer to use their hands and many like a combination of all their senses stimulated. We design a program that helps you to improve your English quickly and successfully and also a leisure programme that will be fun and exciting for you.
Thanks to the fact that we limit the school size to a maximum of 60, there is a great 'family' atmosphere and soon 'strangers' from other countries become friends for life - and don't forget you will be communicating in English all the time.
Our Summer English Program includes:
- 20 English lessons per week in micro-group classes of average 8 students only.
- Homestay Program with a local Irish family.
- A full and varied leisure program, transport by coach or boat to and from afternoon excursions.
- All excursions accompanied by teachers / guides / leaders.
- All equipment hire for sporting leisure activities.
- Ferryboat or coach fares for full day excursions.
- Entrance fees to all leisure / entertainment venues.
- End of course graded certificate
- Teachers detailed report and recommendations for further study to continue progress made.
- After course support: Students can email their English language questions to Atlantic tutors from their own country for help during their next academic year.
Weekly Saturday excursion:
- Boat trips to one of the beautiful offshore islands
- Excursion to the Lakes of Killarney
- Visit to Cork city and Blarney Castle, or Marine Biology Adventure Trips — our own Marine Biologist, Peter McDonnell, takes students on educational trips by boat and on foot to explore the local marine flora and fauna
- Whale and Dolphin Watching Trips
- Three 'Active Leisure' Afternoons
The leisure program may include some of the following and can be adapted to your experience and skill level:
- Kayaking / Raft Building Competitions
- Horse-riding (lessons)
- Golf (lessons or free practice)
- Sailing (lessons)
- Tennis / Basketball / Football (lessons & free practice)
- Cycling and Hiking Trips
- Beach Sports /Abseiling
- One 'cultural trip' Afternoon
One 'Creative' Activity Afternoon:
- Arts and Crafts — sculpture, art, jewellery making workshops or "beach art" trips.
- Drama Workshops and Making Movies
- Irish Cookery Lessons (Scones, Soda bread, Irish Stew)
- Irish Dancing ( - the original 'Riverdance!')