Sunset Bay Academy, San Diego:
Sunset Bay Academy is a co-ed therapeutic boarding school located in San Ysidro, 20 miles south of San Diego, California. We offer a three-phase therapeutic program dedicated to supporting troubled teens aged 12 - 17 and their parents in acquiring the needed tools to restore hope and create healthy relationships within their families. Our core focus is working with struggling teenage boys and girls to generate long-term sustainable behavioral change. We offer a 3:1 ratio of students to professional staff.
Courses / Programs:
- Therapeutic programs for troubled teen boys and girls ages 12-17
- We offer a range of courses that meet middle school and high school requirements
- Weekly SAT preparation classes
- Spanish immersion program
- Group therapy
- Individual therapy
- Family workshops
- Personal growth workshops for parents and students
- After care program
Academics at Sunset Bay:
Our academic program is designed to maximize student learning by encouraging academic excellence and motivating students to consider college as a viable option. We use a computer based academic program featuring 3-D animation, interactive activities and cutting edge multimedia. Our curriculum has the flexibility to customize instruction to meet each student’s needs.
We have high academic standards that require students to score 80% or higher to move on to the next lesson. We offer a range of courses that meet middle and high school requirements and students also participate in our Spanish immersion program. In addition, we offer weekly SAT preparation classes.
Three-Phase Therapeutic Program:
- All students participate in a Three-Phase program which begins the moment a student arrives at Sunset Bay Academy, starting with Phase One. Each phase has different strides that reflect a student’s progress within each phase. The student must complete each stride in order to graduate from the program. To advance in each stride and phase, a student must follow the rules, gain points and have staff and student support throughout each stride.
- To gain points, students must evaluate themselves on a daily basis to assess their own progress such as daily participation, attitude, teamwork, grooming and academic advancement. Each stage is meant to acknowledge growth and development as they work on building trust, self-confidence and leadership.
- Each student participates in extra-curricular activities, team sports, self-growth workshops and varied leadership opportunities. Sunset Bay Academy will assist your teen to transform their old behaviors by supporting their talents and enriching their academic experience with language and culture as well as their leadership.
As a therapeutic boarding school our mission is to provide your child with the necessary tools to create a solid foundation for a successful and fulfilling life.
Change the future of our struggling youth by helping them to create a better tomorrow.
To achieve family unity through character building, communication, respect, trust and love.
We work in partnership with Forest Trails Academy and all academic credits are validated in the United States. If your child completes their high school credits at SBA they will receive a valid High School Diploma. This diploma will be accepted at the time your child applies for college. In addition, we offer SAT preparation courses.
Forest Trails Academy is accredited by the following programs:
- Forest Trail Academy is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges & Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS CASI). SACS CASI, at its core, is dedicated to being the leader in advancing excellence in education worldwide so that every student is prepared for success in an ever-changing and diverse world.
- Forest Trails Academy is registered with the Florida Department of Education (Under district, select -Palm Beach).
- Forest Trails Academy has been granted Candidacy for Accreditation and membership by the National Association of Private & Home Schools (N.A.P.H.S.). NAPHS is a national accrediting organization that promotes and develops network(s) among private and home schools to build a solid system of academic success.
- Forest Trails Academy is nationally accredited by the National Association for the Legal Support of Alternative Schools (N.A.L.S.A.S.).
- Forest Trails Academy is registered with The College Board (SAT, PSAT/NMSQT), whose mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity.