Learn4good provides general information on study, travel, work visa and business visa requirements and the addresses of embassies worldwide. You should contact your local embassy or consulate for the most up-to-date information or visa forms.
For Hotels, Hostels, Car Hire, Jobs and Schools in this country, see the menu options above. See our Travel Forum to create a travel topic and ask questions to fellow travelers.
Who requires a visa?
A citizen of a foreign country, wishing to enter Afghanistan, generally must first obtain a visa. The type of visa you must have is defined by immigration law, and relates to the purpose of your travel.
Types of Visas and the validity period
Tourist visa is issued for foreign nationals who are interested to travel to Afghanistan individually or with a group for the purpose of visiting Afghanistan or their relatives. This type of visa is issued by the Afghan Missions aboard. The validity of this type of visa is for one month, which can be extended only once by the Ministry of Interior with the agreement of the Afghan Tourism Organization.
Entry Visa for Work Permit
Entry visa for work permit is issued for business, economic, commercial, cultural, industrial purposes and working for the governmental or non governmental organizations. This type of visa can be obtained from the Consulate Section of the Afghan Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Your employer or sponsor should contact the concerned department of Ministry of Foreign Affairs directly. However, this type of visa can be extended through the Ministry of Interior.
This type of visa is issued by the Ministry of Interior to the foreign nationals holding ordinary passport, who have already entered Afghanistan with a proper visa. The validity of this type of visa is from one month to six months and can be extended.
This type of visa is issued by the Afghan Missions aboard to those foreign nationals who pass through Afghanistan to a third country. The validity of this type of visa is for 72 hours for air passengers and six days for those who travel by land.
Double Entry Visa
This type of visa is issued to the foreign nationals who have a stay visa and the validity of the visa can be extended.
This visa is issued for holders of diplomatic passports who intend to travel to Afghanistan. Diplomatic passport holders can obtain this type of visa from the Afghan Missions aboard. However, they must contact the Section of Diplomatic passport and Diplomatic Visa of the Afghan Ministry of Foreign Affairs directly through their mission in Kabul.
This type of visa is issued by the Afghan Missions abroad to the foreign nationals who hold service or special passports.
This type of visa is issued by the Afghan Missions aboard to the foreign students who intend to study in Afghanistan. The relevant university/academic institution must contact the Cultural Relations Department of the Afghan Ministry of Foreign Affairs directly.
This type of visa is issued to the foreign nationals who have entered the country with entry work permit visa. The validity of this type of visa is one to six days; in some circumstances this can be extended.
What documents will be required?
Visitors must hold:
1. One completed visa application form
2. Two recent passport size photos (size 3/4 cm)
3. Valid Passport, for at least 6 months
4. A letter of introduction from your employer/sponsor stating the purpose and duration of your trip
5. Visa processing fee (usually payable in local currency)
6. Possibly a short interview
Time required to issue a visa:
As a general rule, applicants should allow a four to six week timeframe for processing of applications. Factors that may delay this processing time include:
– Medical referral to Australia and the need for any subsequent medical tests;
– Document verification including educational documents, employment references and bank statements; and
– Applications which are incomplete and require the visa office to make contact with the applicant or the applicant’s agent.
It is compulsory for all international students to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for themselves and their dependents, where applicable, for the duration of the visa. The premium for OSHC is only to be paid once the PVA requirements have been met.
What is the cost of a visa?
Single-entry: GBP50. Double-entry: GBP100. Multiple-entry: GBP150 (up to three months); GBP260 (up to six months). Inquiries should be made at the embassy for details about visiting Afghanistan.
– We strongly recommend all visitors to extend their visa prior to expiry, if they wish to stay longer than the permitted duration. If the visa is not extended on the due date, the holder of the passport will be fined US$2 for each day during the first month of the delay, US$5 for each day during the second month of the delay (fines can be paid at ports). If the delay is more than two months, in addition to the fine, the visa holder will be deported.
– We strongly recommend foreign visitors to register with their embassy in Kabul, the local Afghan Police Department and the Afghan Tourist Organization (if the visit is for tourism purposes only) on arrival.
– During your stay in Afghanistan, we respectfully request you to respect local culture and sensitivities.
– Photos and Cinematographic films can be taken after obtaining previous permission in writing from the Tourist Bureau, Press Department, located on the first floor of the Ministry of Information and Culture Building.
– Transportation of some rare birds out of the country is illegal. Therefore, visitors must contact the Afghan Tourist Bureau to obtain more information and relevant export certificate.
– Tourists may export duty free 30 sqm carpets, 10 skins excluding Karakul, cut and polished precious stones including Lapis Lazuli, handicrafts and a limited variety of antiques.
– Upon arrival, visitors are required to declare all foreign currency (if the amount exceeds 1million AFS or its equivalent value) that they carry. Please ask for Ansari Application Form at the airport.
Embassy contact information:
Please contact the nearest Afghani embassy for information on what documentation you may require to enter Afghanistan. Afghan Embassies Worldwide.
Disclaimer: The contents of these pages are provided as an information guide only, in good faith. The use of this website is at the viewer/user’s sole risk. While every effort is made in presenting up-to-date and accurate information, no responsibility or liability is accepted by the owners to this website for any errors, omissions, outdated or misleading information on these pages or any site to which these pages connect or are linked.
Source & Copyright: The source of the above visa and immigration information and copyright owner/s is the:
– Islamic Republic of Afghanistan Office of the President – URL: http://www.president.gov.af/
The viewer/user of this web page should use the above information as a guideline only, and should always contact the above sources or the user’s own government representatives for the most up-to-date information at that moment in time, before making a final decision to travel to that country or destination.