Sweden Visa Requirements: Swedish visa application form information on Sweden visas for travel, tourist visa, visitor / transit visa, student visa. Swedish embassy address, information on Sweden immigration procedures for US citizens, Canadians, Indians, Australians, UK, EU citizens.
Travel Visa Info Hotels Hostels Jobs Schools Products

Sweden Visa Information

Learn4good provides general information on study, travel, work visa and business visa requirements and the addresses of embassies worldwide. You should contact your local embassy or consulate for the most up-to-date information or visa forms.

For Hotels, Hostels, Car Hire, Jobs and Schools in this country, see the menu options above. See our Travel Forum to create a travel topic and ask questions to fellow travelers.

Who requires a visa?
Sweden is a member of the Schengen group of countries, which means that the visa rules of the Schengen Agreement are applicable. A visa issued in one Schengen Member State (such as Denmark) is also valid for visits to all other Member States. The current Schengen area is composed of the following countries – Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
If you wish to visit Sweden and are a citizen of a country outside the EU/EEA, you will in most cases NEED a visa.

All countries and territories that are members of the Schengen acquis, of the EU or of EFTA. Positive visa list of countries (also known as White Schengen List) from whose citizens no visa is required to enter the territory of the EU member states for a period of maximum 90 days.

Albania*****, Andorra***, Antigua and Barbuda , Argentina, Austria*, Australia (including the Cocos Islands, Norfolk Island, Christmas Island)**, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium*, Bermuda, Bosnia and Herzegovina*****, Brazil***, Brunei, Bulgaria*, Canada**, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus*, Czech Republic*, Denmark*, El Salvador, Estonia*, Finland*, France*(including French Guyane, French Polynesia, Guadeloupe, Martinique, New Caledonia, Réunion, St Pierre and Miquelon), Germany, Greece*, Guatemala, Honduras***, Hungary*, Iceland**, Ireland*, Israel**, Italy*, Japan**, Korea (South)**, Latvia*, Liechtenstein**, Lithuania*, Luxembourg*, Macao, Macedonia*****, Malaysia, Malta*, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco***, Montenegro*****, Netherlands*, New Zealand (including the Cook Islands, Niue, Tokelau)**, Nicaragua, Norway*, Panama, Paraguay, Poland*, Portugal*, Romania*, Saint Christopher and Nevis, San Marino***, Serbia******, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovak Republic*, Slovenia*, Spain* (including Spanish territories in North Africa with Ceuta and Melilla), Sweden*, Switzerland**, Taiwan, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (including the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and Bermuda)*****, United States of America (including Virgin Islands of the United States, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico)**, Uruguay, Vatican City, Venezuela. Without a visa, however, citizens of the above countries may not stay longer than three months every half-year or take up gainful employment requiring a work permit. Excepted are the following.

What documents will be required?
If you wish to visit Sweden and the other Schengen countries, you must have:
• a passport which is valid for at least three months after the final date of the visa.
• money for your keep and for the journey home. Sweden requires that you have SEK 370 for each day spent in Sweden. In certain circumstances, this amount may be lower, for example in the case of a young child, if the cost of food and accommodation is paid in advance or if you are going to stay with relatives or friends. You must be able to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds for your keep with the help, for example, of bank statements or a document in which the person inviting you to Sweden promises to meet all expenses during the visit.
• individual medical travel insurance which covers the costs which could arise as a result of emergency medical assistance, emergency hospitalisation or medical repatriation. The insurance should cover costs of at least EUR 30,000 and be valid in all the Schengen countries.
Special rules apply for citizens of Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Russia, Macedonia, Moldavia, Montenegro, Serbia and the Ukraine due to the Visa Facilitation Agreement concluded between these countries and the EU. More information about this agreement can be obtained from the embassies and consulates of the EU Member States in these eight countries.

Time required to issue a visa:
You will normally receive a response within two weeks, but processing times can vary at missions abroad. If you need current information about this, contact the Swedish mission abroad which will process your application. If the Swedish mission sends your application on to the Migration Board, the process may take longer. To be sure that you receive your visa in time, you should submit your application at least two months before you are due to travel to Sweden. During the June-August holiday period, the processing time could be longer.

How long is the visa valid for?
A visa is time-limited and is valid for a maximum of three months in any six-month period. This means that if you have spent three months in the Schengen zone, you must leave the area for three months before you can be granted a new Schengen visa. If you have special grounds, you may be granted a visa for a longer period – up to a maximum of one year – a so called D-visa. Special grounds can for example be that you need to travel to Sweden to visit your children for a period of time that exceeds 90 days in half a year. A D-visa gives you the right to move freely within the Schengen area.

Other information:
Bringing animals
It is possible to bring pets to Sweden from other EU and EFTA countries. However, visitors are recommended to start the planning process well in advance since several permissions must be obtained.
Embassy contact information:
Please contact the nearest Embassy of Sweden for information on what documentation you may require to enter Sweden. Embassies of Sweden to the World

Disclaimer: The contents of these pages are provided as an information guide only, in good faith. The use of this website is at the viewer/user’s sole risk. While every effort is made in presenting up-to-date and accurate information, no responsibility or liability is accepted by the owners to this website for any errors, omissions, outdated or misleading information on these pages or any site to which these pages connect or are linked.

Source & Copyright: The source of the above visa and immigration information and copyright owner/s is the:
– Swedish Ministry of Foreign Affairs – URL: http://www.government.se/

The viewer/user of this web page should use the above information as a guideline only, and should always contact the above sources or the user’s own government representatives for the most up-to-date information at that moment in time, before making a final decision to travel to that country or destination.