ASSISTANT SHIFT SUPERVISOR
FULL TIME NONEXEMPT POSITION
The Assistant Shift Supervisor assists with providing security supervision for Detention Specialists and other assigned security staff. Incumbent will assist with supervising, monitoring and controlling the activities of their assigned security staff to ensure compliance with facility policies and operating procedures. This position reports directly to the Shift Supervisor. The Assistant Shift Supervisor is responsible for the following:
· Assists with providing direct supervision to NVJDC detention specialists and other security staff;
· Ensures facility posts are properly staffed;
· Ensures NVJDC policies and procedures are adhered to and are in compliance with federal, state and local laws;
· Supervises and provides performance management on a daily basis (expected to observe performance and give immediate feedback);
· Assists with completing annual performance evaluations and conducts disciplinary action when necessary;
· Conducts on-going training/education to staff such as policy clarification, crisis intervention and behavioral management ;
· Assists with planning, coordinating and facilitating training for direct care staff;
· Assists with training records management;
· Plans, organizes and directs shift operations in conjunction with the Security Manager and Deputy Director in the absence of the Shift Supervisor;
· Assists with overseeing court orders and information regarding detainees, which included the handling of emergency psychological issues, releases from the program, the coordination of medical, dental and special placement appointments;
· Administers and/or supervises detention admissions-intake and release procedures;
· Assists with conducting staff meetings;
· Inspects the work of subordinates through personal observation and thorough review of written and verbal reports;
· Observes living units and reports to include the follow: SIRs, court reports, red flags, unit logs, medication sheets, etc;
· Investigates grievances and appeals of disciplinary actions by detainees in the program;
· Assists with monitoring timekeeping and other direct care records;
· Investigates incidents and utilizes effective problem solving techniques;
· Serves as a liaison for detainees and their parent(s), probation officers, social workers and other individuals; and
· Performs other duties as required by the Shift Supervisor, Security Manager and Deputy Director.
Good knowledge of Federal, State and Local laws and regulations governing secure juvenile detention facilities including security, detainee disciplinary procedures, restraint methods, search and control practices, and compliance standards issued by the Department of Juvenile Justice; knowledgeable of business processes and managerial principals and practices; strong supervisory skills; strong ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing with juveniles, employees, professionals and the general public; strong ability to perform training needs assessments and facilitate training sessions for direct care staff; strong ability to make effective decisions and exercise good judgment; strong problem solving and counseling skills; ability to establish goals and objects and motivate employees; ability to evaluate current operations, apply current techniques and recommend and implement change; strong ability to analyze difficult situations and develop and assist with implementing effective courses of action; strong ability to make good judgment under pressure and during emergency situations; ability to conduct thorough investigations; and ability to apply and interpret rules and regulations.
Excellent physical condition is required. The position requires frequent walking and the ability to physically restrain if necessary.