Join us in Building the Last Frontier
QAP, a company within Colaska, Inc., is a leader in heavy civil construction throughout the state of Alaska. At QAP, we believe that our strongest assets is our employees and the way they maintain their pride and enthusiasm everyday while doing business with our customers.
QAP's unique combination of local leadership, teamwork is a powerful tool with which to do business. By providing unparalleled customer satisfaction, superior service and the highest quality products, QAP remains committed to achieving its ultimate goal...being a leader in the construction industry.
This is a union position hired from Alaska Laborers Local 341.
General Summary of the Position:
- Perform tasks involving physical labor at highway and heavy construction projects
- May operate a variety of hand and power tools. May clean and prepare sites, dig trenches, set braces to support the sides of excavations, erect scaffolding, clean up rubble and debris and remove waste materials
- May assist other craft workers
(Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list of tasks is illustrative ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class. It does not imply that all positions within the class perform all of the duties listed, nor does it necessarily list all possible duties that may be assigned.)
- Perform a variety of tasks involving strenuous manual labor in heavy/highway construction projects; perform manual work in preparing surfaces for paving
- Shovel bituminous concrete (asphalt) into construction area
- Fine grade fill to grades given by foreman
- Assist in patching asphalt with hot and cold mix. Excavate and fills trenches and ditches.
- Maintain a clean job site: pick up all tools and equipment and secure job site each day in order to eliminate potential hazards.
- Material handling and storage
- Load and unload trucks and haul and hoist materials
- Ensure that proper safety and incident reporting procedures are followed. Bring problems to the attention of the Foreman, Safety Director or HR Manager
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Some knowledge of proper use of equipment, materials and supplies used in heavy/highway construction work
- Some knowledge of first aid and applicable safety precautions
- Ability to work independently and complete daily activities according to work schedule
- Ability to lift heavy objects, walk and stand for long periods of time and perform strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing
- Ability to use equipment and tools properly and safely
- Ability to understand, follow and transmit written and oral instructions
- Ability to meet attendance schedule with dependability and consistency
Education, Training and Experience:
- Any combination of education and experience that demonstrates the knowledge and ability to perform the work
- Willingness and ability to perform manual work following verbal and written instructions
- Regularly works near moving mechanical parts and in outside conditions that include inclement weather, heat and humidity, and exposure to dust and asphalt
- Must be able to lift, push, pull or carry objects, use abdominal and lower back muscles to provide support over time without fatigue and to effectively jump, sprint or throw an object
- Requires good manual dexterity (hand, hand with arm, two hands) and multi-limb coordination.
- Noise level is generally loud
- Must be able to quickly move arms and legs
- Excellent stamina is required
Must possess or be able to obtain a valid and appropriate state driver's license prior to employment.
QAP is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer dedicated to promoting diversity and maintaining a drug-free workplace. It is our policy to ensure that applicants are considered for employment based on their qualifications without regard to their race, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), creed, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expressions, sexual orientation, color, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), immigration status, citizenship, genetic information, medical conditions, protected veteran status, uniform service member status, familial status, marital status, registered domestic partner status or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Applicants are treated on the basis of their job-related qualifications, ability and performance. We are committed to equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants and provide a workplace free of harassment and discrimination. This Policy applies to aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, training and development, promotion, termination, compensation, benefits, and all other terms and conditions of employment in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here and here . For notification on E-Verify click here and for information on Right to Work, click here. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
If you need accommodation to access the information provided , please contact QAP at or send an e-mail to: (see below) .
QAP will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. For more information, please click here .