Develops, evaluates, and improves CNC Machining Processes to ensure company production and quality standards are maintained.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Develops processes and tooling for CNC machines to produce precision components for rotary screw compressors, primarily Screw Compressor Rotors, in a low volume high mix environment, utilizing flexible manufacturing processes.
• Ability to program CNC Lathes, Shaft Grinders, and specialized gear cutting and grinding equipment
• Ability to program CNC inspection centers. Understanding of gear measuring methodology.
• Plans work flow, specifies equipment and layout, utilizing LEAN methodologies.
• Specifies equipment, negotiates purchase and coordinates installation and machine commissioning to production environment.
• Specifies tools, fixtures and gaging to perform operations.
• Purchases equipment and keeps it operational by coordinating maintenance and repair services.
• Develops, evaluates, and improves manufacturing methods, utilizing knowledge of product design, materials and parts, fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment capabilities, assembly methods, and quality control standards.
• Creates detailed manufacturing work instructions.
• Trains shop floor team members on production processes.
• Develops and alters CNC programs, via 3D CAD/CAM methods to support continuing production activities.
• Works with engineering to enhance manufacturability of components.
• Maintains product and process data base by writing computer programs; entering data.
• Review product designs for manufacturability or completeness.
• Applies statistical methods to estimate future manufacturing requirements and potential.
• Determines root causes of failures using statistical methods and recommends changes in designs, tolerances, or processing methods.
• Evaluates products per design data and quality standards.
• Confers with management, engineering, and other staff regarding manufacturing capabilities, production schedules, and other considerations to facilitate production processes.
• Confers with maintenance staff to troubleshoot production equipment issues.
Education and experience
• Bachelor’s degree required in engineering with coursework in the manufacturing process.
• 10+ years’ experience working in a plant, manufacturing highly engineered products
• Knowledge of computer design and engineering software
• CAD/CAM proficiency
• Familiar with CNC cutting tools, and tool setting methods.
• Experience with CBN grinding a plus.
• LEAN and/or Six Sigma Certification required
- Ability to program CNC inspection centers.
- Understands good work-holding methods and is able to manage tool design processes, and procurement of tooling, materials, tooling, and gaging needed to perform operations.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures and standards, schematics, blueprints, and legal documents.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and work instructions.
- Ability to effectively communicate, coach, and train shop floor team members on processing information.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond professionally to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and other public groups.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Understanding of basic GD&T.
- Proficiency with G code programming and macro variable logic.
- Ability to perform CNC program changes at the control on the shop floor.
- Proficient with basic shop floor gaging methods.
- Sound knowledge of metal cutting, grinding, and honing operations.
- Basic knowledge of engine assembly operations.
- Self-directing with the ability to manage assigned projects.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to perform root cause analysis.
- Proficiency with CAD/CAM, Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and ERP systems