Foundation Program Department of Mathematics
Qatar University Profile
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education withamission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge ofqualityand excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism andcivicresponsibility. Qatar University provides high quality undergraduateandgraduate programs. Qatar University offers academic programs thatprepareeducated, enlightened and qualified human resources in order to realizethedevelopmental needs of the society. This is reinforced by a committedleadershipand an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body. Theuniversitycommunity has diverse and committed faculty that uses differentteachingstrategies, publishes high quality research in leading journals andcontributesactively to the needs of society. Work atmosphere at Qatar Universityis builton mutual respect, free exchange of ideas and open discussion. Allmembers ofthe University - faculty, staff, and students from differentnationalitiesrespect the traditions and customs of the Qatari society.
Foundation Program Profile
The mission of the Foundation Program is to provide Qatar Universitystudentswith required knowledge of English and Mathematics through activelearning. TheFoundation Program aims to equip students with critical thinking,problemsolving and study skills through student-centered approaches. TheFoundationProgram serves as the bridge for students transitioning from highschool touniversity by building their communication skills, English andMathematicsproficiency to levels required by different colleges at QatarUniversity. Overthe years, the Foundation Program has proven to be verypro-active andconsistently encourages programmatic improvements andenhancements to betterserve the student population.
The Foundation Program Department of Mathematics (FPDM) offers twocourses,Elementary Algebra (Basics of Mathematics, Solving different types of equations andinequalities) andPre-Calculus (Different types of Functions, their propertiesand Trigonometry).The objective of the program is to provide students with asolid foundation inmathematical skills in preparation for their subsequententry into academicprograms at Qatar University. Through the use of variouse-learning coursemanagement tools and an interactive learning environment, FPDMoffers andmaintains an innovative learning and teaching environment whichdevelopsstudents’ critical thinking skills, promotes independent as well aslifelonglearning capabilities, and equips students with the mathematicalskillsrequired for productive participation in society. Duties & Responsibilities
The lecturer inthe Foundation Program Department of Math is expected to perform thedutieslisted as below.
· Teach foundation andpost-foundation math courses, at any time and on any campus during Universityworking hours, where teaching load as in accordance with Qatar Universityregulations for the “Lecturer” position.
· Use innovativeapproaches in learning and teaching to help develop students’ Math skills andgood study practices in order to improve their performance in future Mathcourses.
· Initiate, facilitateand moderate classroom discussions, as well as conduct classes in apredominantly learner-centered, culturally appropriate approach.
· Maintain professionalrelationships with students at all times, and demonstrate culturalawareness/sensitivity as appropriate.
· Collaborate withcolleagues in the department to develop course curriculum, program delivery andteaching methodology.
· Participate activelyand contribute effectively in committees assigned at the department/ FoundationProgram/ university levels.
· Maintain professionaldevelopment through active participation and contribution to professionaldevelopment sessions, and the subsequent implementation of new knowledge andskills effectively in teaching and student support.
· Collaborate with thehead of the department and the coordinators of Math courses in all assignedduties.Adhere to QatarUniversitypolicies and regulations stated in the Faculty Handbook and otherpublisheddocuments by the university
A Master orpreferably PhD degree from a distinguished university in Mathematics orin a related specialization where Math is a major part of thestudy.div>
A Minimum of 3yearsteaching experience at university/tertiary level.
The following shouldbeclearly highlighted in the CV of the applicant:
· Ability to teach inEnglish.
· Fluency in bothEnglish and Arabic.
· Competent in usingE-learning course management system packages.
· Good IT skills andability to use current applications such as Microsoft Office.
· Experience in usingdiverse and effective teaching/learning methods, with special emphasis onstudent-centered learning methods.
· Experience in testingand assessment, curriculum development and student learning outcomes assessmentprocess.
· Experience in workingwith first year university students.
· Ability to work in amulti-cultural learning environment.Very good interpersonaland communication skills.
1. CurriculumVitae with cover letter.
3. At least threereferences including contact numbers and email addresses.
1. Current CurriculumVitae.
2. Cover letter.
3. Teaching,research, and service philosophy.
4. Threereferees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well theirtelephones contact).
5. Copy ofhighest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from aninstitution where course work was completed. However, if no course work wascompleted, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highestcredential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).6. Any additionaldocumentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
1. Competitivetax-free salary.
2. Housingallowance in accordance with HRM Law.
3. Annual roundtrip air tickets for candidate and dependents according to HRM Law.
4. Public healthcare and health insurance to candidate and family members.
5. Annual leavein accordance with HRM Law.
1. A three-year renewable contract.
2. Salary is commensurate with experience.
3. Tax-free salary.
4. Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
5. Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependentsin accordance with QUHR policies.
6. Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligiblecandidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
7. Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QUHR policies.
8. Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.9. End-of-contract indemnity.
For jobs on this site that accept applications from your location / country,