Gulf Studies Program
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) houses ten departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature & Linguistics and Arabic Languages, History, Sociology, Social Work, International Affairs, Mass Communication , Psychology , Policy, Planning & Development , Statistics, Chemistry, Biological Sciences, and Environmental Sciences. The College also houses Master Programs which are in Environmental Sciences, Gulf Studies, and Arabic Language. In Fall 2013, CAS launched a new master program in Material Sciences and a PhD in Biological and Environmental Sciences. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers.
It is worth mentioning that as members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 1 million/project (5 million exceptional projects) along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research- active faculty members able to win multiple grants.Duties & Responsibilities
The Gulf Studies Program is seeking an Assistant/ Associate/ Professor who is motivated to teach and develop graduate courses in Social Sciences as part of the Gulf Studies graduate program. Candidate should have strong teaching and research interests in social issues, with emphasis on the Gulf region. Primary responsibilities include teaching graduate courses, contributing to the program curriculum, supervising graduate student research, and contributing to the research portfolio of the Center as well as the College.
All QU Faculty members must demonstrate effectiveness in the following categories: teaching, academic advising and program development, scholarly research, professional or creative activities and institutional/community service.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Teach courses in the area of expertise.
2. Contribute to various committees at the Program, College, and University level.
3. Contribute to the research profile of College through research publications.
4. Serve as graduate student advisor.
5. Other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Department.
1. Ph.D. in anthropology, Sociology, Social Sciences and other relevant degrees.
2. Strong peer-reviewed publication record.
3. Relevant teaching experience at the graduate level.
4. Specialization in the Gulf and Middle East Region.
5. Familiar with educational technologies used in higher education sector.
6. Willingness to work with teams.
7. Awareness of working with people from diverse backgrounds.
8. Proficiency in Arabic and English is required.
1. Current Curriculum Vitae.
2. Cover letter.
3. Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
4. Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
5. Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, a copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
6. Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
1. A three-year renewable contract.
2. Salary is commensurate with experience.
3. Tax-free salary.
4. Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
5. Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
6. Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
7. Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
8. Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
9. End-of-contract indemnity.
For jobs on this site that accept applications from your location / country,