Experience: Mid-level to Senior Level
Functions: Tax Preparation, Tax Review, Accounting, Bookkeeping, Payroll
Location: Fairfield, CA
FLSA Status: Exempt
California Accounting & Tax, Inc. (CaAccounting) is opening up a new office in Fairfield, CA to service the local community. We pride ourselves on hiring locally staff to provide outsourced accounting, payroll and tax services to small to medium sized businesses, non-profits, and individuals. Our team of accounting and tax professionals work together on multiple clients in various industries. CaAccounting is an affiliate of The Hawaii Group, Hawaii’s leading business process outsourcing firm, which also owns Hawaii Accounting (HiAccounting). We strongly believe in working personally and directly with our clients, connecting through our core principles of integrity, transparency, and dedicated client service.
California Accounting has locations in Citrus Heights, Folsom, Lafayette and is opening new offices this year in Lakeport and Fairfield.
The Senior Tax Accountant is primarily responsible for supervision of the bookkeeping department, as well as self-preparing accounting workpapers and reconciliations to support the issuance of financial statements and management reports. The Senior Tax Accountant should be self-driven, passionate and client service focused.
- Deliver best-in-class customer service to clients and employees at all times, with an emphasis on being proactive, responsive, professional, and accurate.
- Understands assigned client’s business and industry and works closely with management to have a full understanding of client’s service needs.
- Ability to have new client interviews and develop a scope-of-work proposal and engagement letter. Able to work with management to set engagement budgets.
- Develops relationships with client and takes part in client events.
- Establish and maintain a positive working relationship with client’s employees, and co-workers to promote a quality service image
- Communicate with client personnel to request information necessary for the preparation of tax returns, to update clients on the status of their project and for general customer service reasons
- Teach entry level accountants company policies & procedures for preparing tax workpapers and tax returns.
- Ability to manage a large number of clients and client projects. Prioritizes work and communicates with clients on the status of their projects.
- Deadline driven and completes tasks in a timely manner.
- Prepare/review tax source documents needed to properly support all types of tax returns
- Prepares/supervises the preparation of all types of simple to moderately complex tax returns.
- Review, sign off on and file simple to moderately complex tax returns prepared by staff.
- Track and record time accurately. Review time recorded by staff to ensure project remains on budget.
- Review time spent on projects and propose final invoice amount for project.
- Prepare tax liability projections for clients.
- Identify tax planning opportunities for clients and promote other company services to clients that would help them in their business.
- Commit to continuing education of new and changing tax laws and policies and demonstrate the skills to ask questions and research when answers are not known.
- Understands general business including business law, formation and entity types.
- Practice integrity and professional judgment, including asking questions when needed.
- Self-driven and takes initiative to research questions.
- Embraces technology and quickly adapts to technological changes.
- Protects Organization’s values by keeping information confidential.
- Actively contributes to the overall positive culture of the company.
- Embraces team-based approach to client services.
- Encourages collaboration, open communication and problem solving in a team.
- Participates, engages and teaches training. Seeks and offers mentoring and coaching opportunities.
- Ensures work is performed in compliance with the company’s established policies and procedures.
- Provide information to client’s external auditors or advisors, if required
- Assist in implementation and monitoring of performance measures that support the company’s strategic direction.
- Protects organization’s values by keeping information confidential.
- Actively contribute to the overall positive culture of the company.
- Update and monitor various management reports
- Other duties as assigned
Reasonable Accommodations Statement: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. California Accounting/Fairfield shall make reasonable accommodations to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
The ideal Senior Tax Accountant is familiar with tax, accounting, payroll and financial operations in a fast-paced, for-profit environment. This person is required to meet most or all of the following requirements:
Education: Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience.
Experience: Knowledge of accounting, bookkeeping, payroll and generally accepted accounting principles, or any combination of education and experience which would provide the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to meet the minimum qualifications to perform the essential functions of this position.
Licenses: Have obtained or have the desire to obtain a CPA or EA license.
Computer Skills: Proficient knowledge of Adobe Acrobat and MS Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Prior knowledge of QuickBooks, Sage Intacct or other accounting and payroll programs would be helpful.
Other Requirements: Perform other duties as required. Availability to work additional hours or weekends, as projects demand.
Location: California Accounting/Fairfield prides itself on being locally staffed. This position requires that the applicant live in within one (1) hour of Fairfield.
WORKING AT CALIFORNIA ACCOUNTING/FAIRFIELD
California Accounting/Fairfield encourages an active lifestyle by supporting our employees’ interests, efforts, and activities. California Accounting/Fairfield offers the traditional benefit packages, such as full medical, dental, vision, drug, disability, life insurance, 401(k), and profit sharing, as well as a generous PTO and holiday leave program, California Accounting/Fairfield also proudly offers its employees even more generous support at work, at home, and in the community. Offering paid time off for employees to volunteer as well as investing in learning and development opportunities company wide, California Accounting/Fairfield enthusiastically encourages their team members’ desires to be good citizens on and off the job.
We encourage career development by providing a buddy and mentoring system, regular performance evaluations and reimbursements for continuing education for the CPA or other professional certifications. We are family oriented and provide a flexible work schedule.
- Gym/fitness reimbursements.
- Cell phone reimbursement (for employees that use their phone for work).
- Bus pass subsidy.
- Regular in-office massage therapy.
- Flexible work schedule with the ability to work remotely when needed.
- Support of CPA, EA and continuing education.
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- 11 paid holidays (includes your birthday off).
- Paid time off for volunteering.
- Employee snacks and drinks.
- Career advancement.
- 401(k), 4% matching and profit sharing (after eligibility requirements are met).
- Health benefits (after eligibility requirements are met).
- Life Insurance.
We provide a competitive compensation program to attract, retain and motivate a high-performance workforce, and it is flexible enough to meet the different needs of our diverse employee population.