About the role
At GLCR, finances are the fuel that keep our company moving. We’re looking for a qualified Staff Accountant to keep our company and budget on track with unwavering accuracy. The most successful people will have a natural passion for math, and a strong understanding of the intricacies of assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liability, and other financial transactions within an organization. You will play an enormously important supportive role, keeping our company’s financial outlook bright with precision and proactive measures.
What you’ll be doing
- Execute mid-level general ledger account reconciliations, accurate reporting, and data verification, enabling senior staff to analyze options and make financial decisions aligned with company objectives
- Monitor policies and procedures for assigned departments, and identify and suggest improvements for accounting reporting and recording procedures
- Comply with federal, state, and local financial requirements by studying existing and new legislation, and maintaining compliance
- Performs mid-level general ledger account reconciliations, verify accuracy of data, and report, identify, and correct errors made by both internal and external personnel
- Support timely monthly, quarterly, half-year, and year-end financial close, including assigned journal entries, balance sheet account reconciliations, accruals, and overall maintenance of all operational management accounts
- Assists in providing schedules and commentary with respects to operating maintenance accounts results and variances, and with the production of working capital, cash-flow reports, as well as applicable commentary
- Maintain and update records and reports for profit and loss, taxes, liabilities, and assets
- Prepare special financial reports as requested by management by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends
Who we are looking for
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Accounting, or Finance
- Minimum 5 years of Accounting experience
- Management experience preferred
- Strong leadership experience
- Ability and willingness to keep maintain confidentiality
- Familiarity with Accounting and Corporate Finance principles and procedures
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and organize efficiently
- Active pursuit of Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license
- Experience in audit accounting, preferred
- Knowledge of GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles in the U.S.)
- Desire to grow through continuing training
Great Lakes Central Railroad (GLC) is the only regional railroad in the great state of Michigan with 400 miles of track stretching through Central and Northern Michigan. We contribute to a stronger Michigan economy by efficiently serving our freight customers.
GLC provides dependable, integrated transportation benefits to a growing customer base throughout Michigan. Our financial stability has allowed us to retain jobs and also create new positions as well as offer competitive freight rates in conjunction with our rail partners throughout North America.
Being part of a strong railroad with an outstanding team and endless opportunity is an adventure not worth passing up.