Position: Extrusion Operator
Location: Franklin Park. IL
Shift: 6pm to 6am on a 2-2-3 rolling schedule
You will like working for us as we have amazing people and a highly collaborative culture. Global success hasn’t changed our tight-knit feel – we’ve simply grown into a larger, more diverse family. We have thousands of jobs around the globe and encourage all of our associates to chase their dreams without having to find them in another company – it truly is a special place.
While reporting to the Extrusion Supervisor, you will be responsible for operating all extrusion equipment in a safe manner. Excellent attendance is crucial for the team to achieve success. You will have the ability to work with various teams and have a good eye to spot defects in the packing line. You will take pride in your personal hands-on and analytical abilities, organization skills, and attention to detail.
Day to day responsibilities will include:
- Setting up and operating an extrusion machine and ensuring proper dimensions are set up
- Adjusting machine components to regulate speeds, pressures, temperatures, and amounts, dimensions and flow of materials or ingredients
- Making incremental process adjustments, monitoring and reporting quality of manufactured product.
- Ability to communicate efficiently with the lead technician, or supervisor, when extruded product fails to meet standards
- Recording and maintaining production data such as meter readings ad quantities, types and dimensions of materials produced. Must know how to use calipers and gauges
- Turning controls to adjust machine functions, such as regulating air pressure or die gaps
- Collaborating closely with other departments and teams
- Maintaining a safe, clean and organized work area.
- Performing all duties as designated by supervisor/manager.
- Performing all duties in support of Sonoco’s quality and safety policies.
- Helping out other departments as needed
This position is in our Plastics facility in beautiful Franklin Park, IL
- We expect you to be Sonoco mission driven
- We expect you to have at least one year experience as an extrusion operator in a plastic packaging environment (Must have operator background not a helper or roll hanger)
- You will have 2 years of machine operator and manufacturing experience.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English is strongly preferred
- You must be computer savvy – Data entry, barcode scanning and PLC controls
- You have to have a “get it done” attitude and an urgency to resolve problems/tasks.
- To succeed in this role you will need excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Working independently and managing multiple tasks simultaneously is needed.
- You need to have working knowledge of our products and their quality requirements.
- Being reliable, having good initiative, being committed, and being quality focused is a must.
- You will need to be able to lift up to 25 lbs. as needed.
- Having the ability to effectively work with a team in a fast-paced environment is crucial to success.
- You will need to have the ability to read and understand manufacturing instructions.
- You will need to able to perform repetitious duties, including stairs and standing for long periods of time.
- You will need to have the ability to work quickly while maintaining a high level of craftsmanship and attention to detail.
We care about the health and wellness of you and your family. That is why we offer a comprehensive benefits package that makes it easier to manage your health and provide financial security for you and your family.
Apply today and help us get stronger!Company Description
Sonoco is a $5 billion global provider of consumer packaging, industrial products and packaging supply chain services. When collaborating with our customers, we leverage our deep knowledge of material science, our i6 Innovation ProcessTM, and our industry-leading packaging and services portfolio to create impactful customized solutions that build stronger brands.
We produce packaging for many of the world’s most recognized brands, in markets such as appliances and electronics, automotive, beverages, confection, construction, converted paperboard, fresh and natural food, frozen and refrigerated food, shaving, home, lawn and garden, medical/pharmaceutical, pet care, powdered beverages, recycling and snacks.
Sonoco’s operations consist of our global consumer packaging businesses (rigid paper and closures, flexibles and plastics); our display and packaging division (high-impact retail displays and packaging supply chain management); our industrial businesses (tubes and cores, reels and spools, uncoated recycled paperboard and Sonoco Recycling, one of the world’s largest recyclers); and our Protective Solutions division (custom-designed protective, temperature-assurance and retail security packaging solutions and highly engineered components).
From our headquarters in Hartsville, S.C., and more than 300 operations in 33 countries, we serve customers in 85 nations.