District Electrical Services Inc., a well-established electrical contractor, with annual revenues over $10M, has an exceptional opportunity for an experienced Project Estimator to review project plans, manage the entire estimating process and partner with project team to ensure projects are completed on time and within budget. Previous experience with relevant software and bidding commercial projects required.
- Review complete bid plans to fully understand project scope to effectively determine the electrical needs of a project.
- Create estimate of electrical construction costs based on comprehensive review and evaluation of available plans and documents, including assessment of material and labor, determination of fixtures quantities, electrical equipment, generators and fire alarm requirements.
- Request quotations from approved suppliers and subcontractors
- Determine overall labor for a project based on project difficulty and project specifics
- Calculate the nonproductive labor requirements i.e. supervision, layout, planning
- Partner with leadership to assess and determine project’s potential competition and competitive position.
- Visit project work sites to understand logistics and challenges, such as delivery issues, equipment storage and complications that may impact costs and schedule.
- Reviews and distributes bid documents to suppliers and subcontractors
- Negotiate contracts, subcontracts and purchase orders and initiate quotes to suppliers, subcontractors and vendors to assure that all project goals are being addressed.
- Prepare a take-off of material and labor for the purpose of estimating the cost to perform the work by each phase or section of the project, design build or plan and spec.
- Partner with project managers and superintendents to review schedules and special construction considerations.
- Assist project manager during the initial phase of projects with document review and assistance and attend construction turnover meetings as requested.
- Conduct analysis of projects for value engineering options and proactively identify issues that could lead to cost and schedule problems and notify appropriate management.
- Partner with leadership team to discuss strategies to self-perform and outsource the various aspects of a project to achieve the projects objectives.
- Provide technical and estimating support for change orders, field orders and other extra work as required
- Maintain estimating database by reviewing and updating based on changes in material and labor costs.
- Maintain database of bid records for future reference and budget estimates.
- Assist with reviewing and updating database of qualified vendors, suppliers and sub-contractors.
- Review industry publications and social media sources to help in identifying potential future projects for company to bid.
- Perform other duties as directed by the management.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience preparing bids and proposals for commercial electrical projects, hands-on field experience a plus
- Relevant college education and degree desired
- Experience with Bluebeam, PlanGrid and McCormick estimating or similar software
- Advanced proficiency with Excel, Word, Microsoft programs
- Extensive knowledge and experience with project work
- Current knowledge of electrical regulations and NEC
- Strong attention to detail, highly organized and effective time management skills
- Great communication skills and customer service orientation
DES is an equal opportunity employer and values its diverse workforce.Company Description
Celebrating over twenty-five years of success, District Electrical Services is a wholly owned subsidiary of WC Smith. With a staff of over seventy-five employees, we specialize in commercial and multifamily property management, ground-up new construction, renovations and service and repair operations in the DC metropolitan area.