Location: De Witt
NEW starting wage offered: $15.50 / hr! After 90 days $0.50 increase, 6 months $0.50 increase and at 1 year $1.00 increase. Potential wage at the end of 1 year is $17.50 / hr.
Summary: The Production Operator is responsible for safety, quality and productivity of the area he/she is assigned. Each operator takes ownership of his/her assigned area. Ownership includes ensuring equipment runs efficiently and effectively, proper housekeeping for his/her assigned area is completed prior to shift end, escalating production issues promptly, following them through to resolution and/or ensuring oncoming crews are aware and up-to-date on outstanding issues.
At Guardian – DeWitt we utilize Production Operators across our entire plant. While an employee may have a primary department he/she works in, daily assignments within the department are designated based on each person’s comparative advantage. The below list represents different responsibilities that a “Production Operator” may be assigned, and these assignments may shift periodically depending on business need, etc.:
- Manual Packing - Responsible for packing product onto a rack which entails physically handling glass (small and large sheets that may require one or two-people), identification of product quality concerns via visual inspection and using small hand tools, providing information for inventory tagging purposes, and maintaining good housekeeping practices including sweeping and shoveling of glass.
- Cutting – Responsible for interpretation and proper manipulation of the production schedule in relation to the cutting computer, quality and efficient scoring and separation of pieces of glass, primary maintenance of cutting related machinery and process equipment, and identification and removal of defective glass.
- Automated Machinery – Responsible for the safe operation of automated machinery/robots, identification/escalation/follow through of glass quality concerns in a timely manner, troubleshooting issues as necessary, minor maintenance and upkeep of the machinery.
- Fork Truck/Materials – Safe operation of fork truck and other glass moving machinery, proper scanning and entry of glass rack information into the inventory system on the computer, and maintaining good housekeeping practices including sweeping and shoveling of glass. This also includes doing required inspections of fork truck, submitting work orders for maintenance, and proper upkeep of truck (gas or battery stations), inspecting slings and other moving equipment for safe usage, procuring replacements if necessary, collaborating to develop or update standard work, following warehouse guidelines for accurate storing & ensuring production is adequately supported with input and production coming off the line so as not to adversely impact production. Fork Truck operators also assist with warehouse and materials by closing up production using dunnage, packaging, banding machines and/or other wood/cardboard & plastic materials and hand tools. *Please note we do not employ production operators to only be a fork truck operators, rather this is an aspect of the job which will also include other non-fork truck responsibilities.
- Countback – Responsible for coordinating manual pack area, including assisting with packing, entering of container information into inventory system on the computer, break rotation for employees assigned to packing, and acting as liaison between lower line and warehouse employees.
- Coater Washer – Responsible for checking read outs of water levels and functioning of the washer, troubleshooting and escalating issues as necessary. Submitting work orders and collaborating with maintenance and engineering on concerns. This also includes cleanup of debris and ensuring the washer operates safety and effectively so as to prevent Coater USDT.
- Hot End – Responsible for monitoring the internal flow of materials, temperature readouts and other factors which impact furnace, tin bath and batch house operations. This includes operating and working with large machines and tools to clean and unclog batch from various places. This also includes maintaining monitoring equipment, ensure production logs are accurate, make adjustments as authorized and necessary to ensure operating standards and quality of glass. Respond to alarms calmly and proficiently, and work as a team to resolve issues.
Other Skill and Abilities:
- H.S. Diploma or equivalent is required.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Must be able to satisfactorily complete a background check and drug screen. * Please note we do random drug testing and test for reasonable suspicion after hire.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as ISO work instructions, safety assessments, and production schedules (all documents are written in English)
- Ability to do basic mathematics (add/subtract/divide & multiply), and take measurements using standard measure.
- Mechanical aptitude and logic reasoning skills.
- Computer literate – Can pick up and understand basic computer programs quickly.
- Ability to work in a fast-based environment.
- Work collaboratively as a team and as an individual.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Employees assigned to this area of production will work a rotating 12-hour shift. During this time, employees will be required frequently (up to 11 hours) to stand, walk, reach, turn, bend, and lift (up to 50 lbs.).
- Employees assigned to the automated packing areas must be able to operate a fork truck including mounting / dismounting frequently throughout the day, and driving backwards (middle body/sustained trunk rotation) with a load on the forks.
- Employees assigned to the manual packing stations will be required to pack in an efficient manner (as fast as one piece of glass / 3 seconds).
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those one may see while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Employees will be subject to ambient temperatures ranging from 50 degrees Fahrenheit during the winter months up to 110 degrees Fahrenheit (75% humidity) during the summer months. Depending on the area assigned, these temperatures could be more or less for short periods of time, and fluctuate frequently.
- Employees will be required to wear all necessary Protective Equipment while handling the glass including three-piece packing suit (10 oz. Kevlar material apron weighing approx. 10 lbs.), gloves and glove liners, as well as hardhat and face shield usage. Certain assignments may require to be cleanly shaven and respiratory fit tested.
- The noise level is usually moderate. Hearing protection is required in certain areas, and while certain processes are running.
- Employees can expect to be exposed to moving mechanical parts and machinery.
Note: Guardian Industries is an equal opportunity employer and provides equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to color, race, religion, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, ethnicity, age, disability, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information, or other legally protected factors.
Based in Auburn Hills, Michigan, Guardian Industries is a diversified, global company with a vision to create value for customers and society through constant innovation using fewer resources. Guardian, its subsidiaries and affiliates employ 17,000 people and operate facilities throughout North America, Europe, South America, Africa, the Middle East and Asia. Guardian Glass is a leading international manufacturer of float, value-added coated, and fabricated glass products and solutions for architectural, residential, interior, transportation and technical glass applications. SRG Global is one of the world’s largest manufacturers of advanced, high value coatings on plastics for the automotive and commercial truck industries, providing solutions for greater surface durability, structural integrity, functionality, vehicle efficiency and design flexibility. Guardian Building Products is a leading U.S. based distributor of specialty building products. For more information, visit (Please contact us using the "Apply for this Job Posting" box below).