The successful candidate for this position will operate a hostler to move trailers and/or containers to/from parking areas to the tracks for loading as well as chassis to the track for container unloading. Driver may also be required to transport units to/from storage areas for later movement or loading.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Spot units next to assigned railcars for loading of outbound train departures.
- Pull deramped loads away from track and place them in appropriate parking lot. This requires backing containers/trailers of 20' to 53' into tight spaces.
- Spot chassis next to railcars for container unloading.
- Perform all necessary computer functions to maintain accurate inventory.
- Assist outside drivers as needed to retrieve trailers and containers.
- Lock and unlock containers to chassis for TOFC or COFC movement.
- May be required to perform the duties of the groundman as needed, along with any other duty assigned by the supervisor.
- Will be required to raise hitches on railcars as needed.
- Performs other duties as requested or required.
- On Call position
- High school education or general education development (GED).
- No CDL required but trailer backing experience preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out detailed, but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to see well enough to read operating and maintenance instructions, gauges and dials on precision measuring tools.
- Ability to read and comprehend safety manuals, operating and maintenance instructions, test materials, drawings, schematics, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to acquire and maintain a valid drivers' license to operate company vehicles
- Must be able to hear and talk well enough to communicate with co-workers, supervisors, yard workers, and section leaders 100% of time.
- Be in a physical condition that allows for walking on uneven surfaces, climbing ladders/ steps into and out of the hostler cab, and successfully maneuvering the controls of the hostler to safely move containers, trailers, and chassis.
- Ability to walk one (1) mile continuously
- Ability to step up two steps leading with both the left and right legs.
- Ability to walk on a catwalk in a forward motion and be able to turn around.
- Ability to walk side-step on a catwalk to place an IBC on top of a container using both right and left hands.
- Lock/Unlock King Pin: Ability to use 34.2 lbs of force to lock and unlock a king pin.
- Upper Level Reach -- Ability to perform on sustained basis at equivalent of 95% of the time.
- Stooping Reach -- Ability to perform on sustained basis at equivalent of 95% of the time.
- $15.50 to start - Teamster Union
- Full benefits - contingent on hours worked
We are an EEO/AA Employer and consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or veteran status.