Title: Facilities Maintenance Technician
Reports to: Facilities Manager
Location: 11303 Wilshire Blvd. VA Bldg. 116 Los Angeles, CA 90073
Type: Non-Exempt, Full-time
This role will be responsible for taking pride in performing routine building maintenance tasks such as carpentry, electrical, heating, ventilation, HVAC and other essential responsibilities surrounding general building upkeep in order to keep New Directions for Veterans building in pristine welcoming shape on a daily basis.
- Inspects buildings and other structures to determine functional systems and detect malfunctions and needed repair making notes and recommendations using a pre‐established check sheet.
- Performs minor electrical maintenance to include but not be limited to replacement or repair of fixtures (e.g. wall switches and outlets, incandescent and fluorescent bulbs and tubes, ballast, sockets, fuses, minor appliances, cords, etc.) using appropriate hand, power and specialty tools.
- Performs minor plumbing maintenance (e.g. replacement or repair of leaks in drains and faucets, unclogging of drains, trenching and laying new lines, replacing drain hoses on washers and similar devices, etc.).
- Performs minor painting, carpentry and masonry work (e.g. preparing surfaces and using brush, sprayer, or roller to apply paints, stains, and varnishes, hanging doors, fitting locks and handles, etc.).
- Re-configures, installs, positions, and remounts modular offices and space (e.g. furniture, wall panels, work surfaces, storage bins, lighting, file cabinets, etc.) to accommodate user needs and maximize office space using various hand, power and specialty tools, dollies and hand trucks.
- Prepares the surfaces and paints various structures and equipment (e.g. walls, refrigerators, evaporative coolers, floors, roofs, doors, restroom facilities, etc.) to preserve wood and metal parts from corrosion and maintain a safe, comfortable working environment using various painting equipment and related tools (e.g. sprayers, rollers, brushes, thinners, etc.).
- When needed or required clean rooms, hallways, lobbies, lounges, rest rooms, corridors, elevators, stairways, parking lots, and other work areas to ensure it is in .
- Order parts, equipment and maintain required checklists for chain of command overview.
- Assist with appropriate key control.
- Ensure all company vehicles are maintained, mileage logs are maintained and reviewed by manager every week, and that the spare set of keys is kept with the Facilities Manager.
- Order, build and maintain all resident fixtures as needed.
- Keep the storage room (penthouse) organized and items categorized.
- Performs other work related duties as assigned.
- Ability to read, writes, speaks and understands English fluently.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be customer service oriented.
- Ability to meet or exceed the company’s attendance and punctuality standards.
- Ability to evaluate objectively, fairly, and consistently.
- Ability to use common tools.
- Ability to understand and follow directions as given.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Use miscellaneous office equipment (e.g. calculators, typewriters, computers, FAX machines, copiers, etc.).
- Ability to use construction equipment/tools using all required/recommended safety procedures per equipment manufacturer.
Education & Other requirements
- Completion of elementary school education.
- Two years working experience in facility maintenance.
- Basic understanding of electrical, plumbing and carpentry is a plus.
- Ability to Provide Employment Eligibility Verification.
- Complete a background screen and drug test.
- Provide annual evidence of tuberculosis test.
- Must be able to work flexible hours.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- High level of concentration and attention to detail for extended periods of time required.
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals in the organization at all levels, outside providers and consultants.
- Ability to quickly organize and communicate thoughts and to understand communications from others.
- Ability to see, hear, and talk clearly in order to receive instruction and to give instructions to others.
- Ability to work independently, with others, around other, have verbal contact with others, face-to-face contact with others and prioritize work and make decisions.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to push minimum 100 pounds (power cleaning appliances);
- ability to lift minimum 50 pounds (trash, contractor equipment, misc. boxes and supplies);
- Ability to climb ladder and step ladder;
- Bending at the waist, sitting, kneeling, laying horizontally, climbing, walking, etc., as job may require.
The employer is an "equal opportunity employer." The employer will not discriminate and will take "affirmative action" measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, and advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, creed, color, national origin, or sex.Company Description
New Directions for Veterans (NDVets) is staffed by a dedicated team of professionals who thrive in a rapidly growing, visionary organization. We seek individuals who can use their skills and commitment to help us in our mission to improve the lives of veterans. As a member of our team you will reap benefits far beyond a paycheck.