A rapidly growing, Woman/Employee-owned large business providing information technology, program management, business and financial management, engineering, logistics, and training support services to the DoD and other Federal Clients is now seeking a Vice President of Business Development (BD) to lead Strategic Initiatives.
We are seeking a high-energy, innovative, and experienced Vice President of BD to lead all aspects of the business development lifecycle and our corporate business development initiatives. The Vice President of BD shall report to the CEO/President. This position is responsible for leading company-wide strategic business development and market expansion initiatives in DoD and other Federal markets. The successful candidate will be responsible for planning and implementing corporate business development goals and strategic growth initiatives. This includes identifying and validating business opportunities; account management; customer and partner interface; business capture, and proposal development.
Key responsibilities include the following:
- Work with company leadership to plan and execute initiatives that support achievement of corporate business development and financial targets.
- Design and execute corporate business development and market penetration plan.
- Oversee and manage division level Business Development team including; Capture, Market Research, Proposal Managers and Marketing and Communications.
- Lead initiatives to expand into new markets under key core competencies.
- Oversee and support all elements of corporate business development activities such as: account management, capture, proposal development, coordination of hand off to corporate operational managers, and continuous interface with customers and business partners.
- Provide guidance and leadership to the BD team to:
o Identify and qualify business opportunities
o Develop teaming relationships, select teaming partners, and asses partner capabilities relative to specific pursuits
o Coordinate with corporate staff to develop winning business solutions
o Understand and leverage company capabilities and offerings
- Establish customer relationships to identify and shape customer requirements.
- Develop optimum business capture strategies, to include applying relevant contract vehicles, identifying and managing partner relationships, defining solutions, locating resources, responding to solicitations, and communicating with clients.
- Collect metrics in order to measure effectiveness of operations and support improved corporate performance.
- Support all aspects of proposal development, as required.
- Support internal/external marketing of the company portfolio.
- Plan and manage programs and projects assigned.
- Manage relevant documents and data in support of corporate quality programs.
- Develop market strategies and coordinate/deliver annual Business Development/Strategic Plan updates.
- Track team goals and objectives to ensure they are meeting corporate mandated requirements – this includes, but is not limited to: capture manager and business development manager goals; regional prime bid goals; monthly and quarterly business development metrics and tracking system; and other metrics/goals as necessary.
- Perform research and establish contacts to develop leads and create business opportunities.
- Supports the company at industry and market space events.
- Prepare management briefings, program reviews and reports.
- Contributes to development of business plans, marketing materials and manages/coordinates show/exhibition participation.
- Establishes and nurtures relationships with current and potential clients to ascertain their requirements and apprise them of company capabilities.
- Oversee monthly Pipeline and Capture Reviews
- Lead the proposal Win/Loss Lessons Learned process
- Deliver quarterly Capture Manager training in-line with Shipley Based capture
- Support the development and roll-out of the annual Strategic and Business Unit Business Plans
- Support other business development and special project requirements as directed.
Experience Requirements: Requires 12 years’ experience. Familiarity with DoD acquisition is a key requirement and having experience with Defense, Federal and commercial customers. At least 9 years of business development experience is required, particularly with Navy or civilian agencies. Specific experience in successfully building a business base to transition from a small to medium sized business desired.
Candidate must demonstrate a high degree of integrity, decisiveness, and commitment to the growth and success of the company. Candidate must be willing and able to work extended hours and travel as necessary. Candidate must be COMMITTED TO WINNING!
In addition, candidate must possess the following attributes:
- Demonstrated expertise and success in identifying and qualifying new opportunities for services in core company competencies and in new market sectors.
- Understand the complete business development process from lead qualification through proposal submission.
- Understand the corporate background and strengths of other competitive companies, and possess a high degree of competitive intuition to understand whether a company would be a good teaming partner for a given opportunity.
- A proven record of pursuing and capturing small business set aside and full and open services based new business opportunities.
- Demonstrated ability to:
o Interact positively with technical customers, key decision makers, and acquisition officials to influence acquisition strategies and customer opinions and promote the company
o Interact positively with senior executive leadership and managers
o Identify, develop, empower, motivate, mentor, monitor and lead business development and capture teams
o Analyze information and provide solutions to diverse problems
o Identify and manage risk
o Conduct competitive assessments and price-to-win analysis
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; public speaking background a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office productivity tools (WORD, PowerPoint, Excel) .
Education Requirements: Bachelor's degree or higher. MBA desired.
Security Requirements: Active government clearance preferred OR must be eligible to obtain U.S. a clearance and must be U.S. citizen.
Job Location: Significant travel to Washington, DC Metro Area and other locations as required for business and industry events.
Salary Range: Salary is commensurate with experience.
Job Type: Full-time
- relevant DoD acquisition: 10 years (Required)
- Master's (Preferred)
- Secret security clearance (or eligible to obtain) (Preferred)
- 50% (Preferred)
- Multiple locations
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Flexible schedule
- Parental leave
- Relocation assistance
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- Innovative -- innovative and risk-taking
- Aggressive -- competitive and growth-oriented
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture
- Stable -- traditional, stable, strong processes
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative