The Product Manager will manage all product line and development activities for one or more residential product lines. Gather new product ideas and evaluate their potential and practicality. Coordinate the development of new products with marketing, purchasing, finance, engineering, manufacturing, and merchandising. Work closely with sales to assure a smooth and successful introduction to the marketplace.
Strategic and business planning
- Development and implementation of long-range plans and competitive strategies for the product line.
- Provide appropriate input to the Window Fashions long-range business plan.
- Preparation and implementation of an annual marketing plan and sales forecast.
- Overall accountability for sales volume and profitability (standard variable margins) of assigned product line(s).
- Margin Maintenance
- Set price levels, taking into account the conditions in the marketplace as well as the financial needs of the division.
- Supervise constant efforts to identify ongoing cost reductions.
- Work with national account managers, business unit managers and production & inventory control to develop accurate sales forecasts for assigned products.
- Prepare and administer sales and expense budgets for assigned product line.
Improve product vitality
- Working closely with sales managers, establish marketing plans for new product introductions
- Team lead, and when necessary, project manage new product, and product enhancement/refresh projects to ensure adherence to the NPS schedule.
- Identify consumer and trade needs and benchmark against competition.
- Identify specific product needs and define requirements for Engineering.
- Participate in establishing market plans for new product rollouts.
- Work with Purchasing and Engineering department, source selected items from vendors.
- Work closely with vendors on new and/or existing product designs.
- Make decisions on SKU mix, design and functionality of assigned product line(s).
- Coordinate various functions involved in product introductions/refreshes, ie. Purchasing, Engineering, Manufacturing, Sales, Integrated Marketing, Distribution, Finance and Engineering Services.
- Supervise the creation and production of Product Launch Kit materials
- Achieve market penetration for assigned product line(s):
- Develop and implement aggressive marketing programs to achieve growth in sales
- Insure that product quality/integrity is maintained.
- Supervise product improvements, assuring that Window Fashions products provide superior value to the consumer.
- Insure that proper support is given to the product through necessary selling tools, merchandising programs, and sales force training.
- Obtain and maintain a thorough knowledge of the markets in which Springs window covering products compete, and the accounts in those markets.
- Identify and anticipate trends in interior design which will affect the assigned product lines.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of promotions and advertising, and develop improvements and changes.
- In concert with appropriate sales managers, prepare and make presentations to high level buyers and/or officers of current and potential customers.
- Represent Springs Window Fashions at trade shows.
Product line maintenance responsibilities
- Develop and execute SKU maintenance and reduction plans.
- Provide guidance to production planning and inventory control areas, to assure appropriate inventory levels and service to customers.
- Act as a mentor to other more junior associates in Marketing.
- Continuously gather intelligence on the products performance, customer, dealer and consumer attitudes, and new problems/opportunities
- Continuously gather competitive intelligence as to pricing, promotion, specifications, and product changes.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree with emphasis in Marketing or Business Administration required.
- MBA in Marketing preferred.
- Three to five years marketing or sales experience with a consumer products company is required.
- Experience working with customized products is highly desired.
- Experience with the marketing and the sale of SWF products preferred, or comparative experience in similar capacity with another manufacturer of window treatment products
Our ideal candidate will have experience working in a product management role with products that are custom made based on the needs of each customer.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Organized work habits, excellent verbal and written communication.
- Ability to work with wide range of people, from various disciplines, including customers, vendors, and other employees within the company.
- Ability to constantly analyze assigned business to understand strengths and weaknesses.
- Ability to understand and make financial analyses.
- High degree of creativity in developing businesses, developing new products and consumer-oriented programs.
- Ability to understand color texture and pattern elements of design.
- Ability to forecast trends and develop plan around these trends.
- Must be a skilled problem solver. Find appropriate solutions through negotiations, coordination of various departments and by creativity.
- Works independently but with day-to-day guidance from Business Unit Manager (s) and/or Product Managers .
- Product problems and concerns are frequently received from all levels of management regarding the assigned product line (s), and frequent consultations and interactions are required. Communication is frequent between SWF personnel at all levels, outside customers and vendors.
- Must have high level of persuasiveness.
Springs Window Fashions has been part of the window treatments industry since 1939. Headquartered in Middleton WI, we have over 8,000 associates and 14 locations in North America. Our products are available in nearly every major retailer, in thousands of designer showrooms and showcased in large commercial buildings. Our company is privately owned, with products marketed across a broad portfolio of brands including Bali, Graber, SunSetter and Mecho. We pride ourselves as “The Best Experience Company”, striving to provide the best experience for our consumers, channel partners, and associates.