The candidate will be responsible for complete ownership of tool engineering activities relating to new product development and some ongoing manufacturing support. Duties also include activities focusing on the company and departmental objectives in respect to increasing revenue, cost reduction and improved quality.
Essential Function/Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function/duty satisfactorily. Other duties/functions may be added or assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Design thermoform tooling for new products concepts using company tool standards and good engineering practices
- Develop, maintain and continuously update tool design and fabrication standards to meet company’s objectives
- Manage all aspect of tooling projects to ensure timely delivery of tools that meet Inline Plastics quality standards as well as keeping the tool cost within budget
- Design and prototype thermoforming products to meet customers’ needs
- Interact closely with engineering, manufacturing and maintenance personnel to identify issues and the appropriate solutions
- Work with product and tooling engineers to recommend long-term improvements to new products and tool designs
- Work with internal and external tool manufacturers to drive quality, cost reduction and lead time reduction.
- Work with manufacturing to establish tooling standards, process conditions and maintenance programs for current and future tooling
- Act as the point of contact for tooling issues that require engineering assistance
- Work with Quality to develop QA gauges for new products and existing products as needed
Required knowledge and skills
- Skilled in 3D solid modeling software, Solidworks experience is a plus
- Specific knowledge of product and tool design for thermoforming is required. Knowledge of injection molding tooling/process is a plus
- Strong problem solving skills with good mechanical aptitude
- Tool making or machine shop experience is preferred
- Good communication and leadership skills
- Knowledge of manufacturing environment involving plastic processes
- Ability to work in a fast paced, flexible environment
Education and/or Experience - Bachelor’s degree (BS) in Mechanical Engineering, or Manufacturing Engineering. Alternatively the candidate must have 5 years (or more) of thermoform tool design experience. Requires five years or more relevant engineering, machine shop or manufacturing experience in consumer products within a plastic thermoforming environment. Tool making or machine shop experience is preferred.Company Description
Plastics Specialty Inc (PSI) is part of a multi-site manufacturer of food grade drink and snack containers. Employing just under 800 people across the US. PSI continues to grow both in as well as sales due to its innovative products, customer-centric focus, and operational excellence.