As the leading residential property management company in North America, we work hard to help communities thrive. Our dedication, responsiveness and integrity are why thousands of communities across the U.S. and Canada choose FirstService Residential to manage their properties. For more than four decades, communities have counted on FirstService Residential for their Minnesota property management needs. We’ve got the Twin Cities covered, from Plymouth and Shakopee to Woodbury and downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul.
The Groundskeeper must manage and ensure the grounds, garage and exterior operations are aesthetically pleasing, clean and safe, and all areas are functioning for the resident’s needs. Must track a maintenance schedule, keep equipment operational for snow/garage/lawn/plantings, and assist in all areas as needed to ensure we provide the best services possible for the residents. Hours are generally Monday through Friday from 7:00 A.M. to 3:30 P.M. with a half hour lunch. Coverage for weekends and odd hours as needed to ensure snow removal, watering of plants, etc.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Practice and adhere to FirstService Residential values: Be Genuinely Helpful, Aim High, Do What’s Right, Own It, Improve It, and Build Great Relationships
• Must maintain regular and punctual attendance to required shifts, meetings, trainings and related employment engagements to support position responsibilities and duties. Any alterations to required schedule must be reviewed and approved, in advance by your supervisor.
• Complete Work Orders for On-Site Maintenance Tasks and record completion information
• Maintain a calendar of job duties for each day/week/month.
• Ensure that information utilized by other staff is kept current.
• Keep records for the areas of responsibility including all equipment and vendors or contractors.
• Supervise all part time staff assisting with grounds and operations as directed by the Maintenance Supervisor.
• Oversee all snow removal operations and contractors hired to plow drive lanes and outdoor parking lot.
• Oversee all grounds, plantings (indoor and outdoor), and related furnishings and equipment to provide appropriate maintenance and services for the residents
• Get bids for grounds related projects as directed by Maintenance supervisor.
• Authorize appropriate work with Maintenance supervisors’ approval.
• Monitor contractor compliance with the Associations rules and regulations.
• Oversee work to its satisfactory completion.
• Advise the Association Manager when non-routine problems occur or work is not satisfactorily completed.
• Maintain cleanliness of the garage, exterior areas and all grounds
• Handle all trash and recycling operations
• Report any/all needs for safety including but not limited to: all outdoor systems and grounds, indoor concerns, and any operational concerns
• Handle all seasonal change over, cleaning, servicing for equipment and furnishings
• Assist other departments as needed including housekeeping, office, desk attendants and maintenance staff
• Assist with pool operations
• Must be aware of Association rules in order to assist in enforcement and/or report them to the Association Manager. (i.e. use of the parking areas, remodeling of exterior areas on units, etc.)
• Follow safety procedures and maintain a safe work environment.
Additional Duties & Responsibilities
• Conduct business at all times with the highest standards of personal, professional and ethical conduct.
• Perform or assist with any operations as required to maintain workflow and to meet schedules. Notify supervision of unusual equipment or operating problems and the need for additional material and supplies.
• May participate in any variety of meetings and work groups to integrate activities, communicate issues, obtain approvals, resolve problems and maintain specified level of knowledge pertaining to new developments, requirements, policies, and regulatory guidelines.
• Ensure all safety precautions are followed while performing the work.
• Follow all policies and Standard Operating Procedures as instructed by Management.
• Perform any range of special projects, tasks and other related duties as assigned.
Possible part-time employee in summer months.
Education & Experience
• High School Diploma
• A minimum of six (6) month of grounds keeping work experience including the safe operation of mowers, trimmers, snow removal equipment and similar equipment
• Certified Pool Operator (CPO) license
• Fork lift certification
• Knowledge of equipment and systems
Knowledge, Skills & Proficiencies
• Excellent people and communication skills
• Collaborative attitude and team player
• Willingness to assist and take direction
• Organized self-starter and ability to perform quality work without direct supervision.
• Ability to interact professionally with residents and contractors.
• Able to manage projects on site
• Knowledge of basic computer applications
Tools & Equipment Used
• Construction and Maintenance tools and equipment, as needed
• Computer, keyboard, mouse, phone, fax, and other office equipment, as needed
Physical Requirements / Working Environment
• Working knowledge of and ability to use hand and power tools and equipment
• Must be comfortable working on ladders.
• Must be comfortable working with maintenance equipment including but not limited to: Bobcat, Tennant sweeper, fork lift, snow broom/blowers, lawn mowers, leaf blowers, chainsaw trimmer and general power tools.
• Able to perform manual labor such as shoveling, planting, hand watering.
• Ability to lift up to 30-50 lbs. following appropriate safely procedures.
• Being able to work in various positions, including but not limited to bending over, stooping, squatting, kneeling and standing for extended periods of time
• Walking the property. Ability to quickly and easily navigate the property as required to meet the job functions.
• Repeat various motions with the wrists, hands and fingers. Reaching with hands and arms.
• Walk and climb stairs
• Ability to work in different environmental conditions (e.g. heat, cold, wind, rain, humidity)
• Ability to climb ladders and work at heights above ground level (10 feet)
• Sitting at a desk
• Use of keyboard, computer, and applicable software and equipment.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Hours over and above normal office hours will occur, including evenings, holidays, and some weekends. Schedule is subject to change based on business needs.
• Travel is local and only necessary for supplies and trainings or meetings in the Twin Cities Metro area.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. This is not an all-inclusive job description; therefore, management has the right to assign or reassign schedules, duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Welcome to FirstService Residential in Minnesota. With over 40 years of experience we have grown to become Minnesota’s leading community association management company by delivering our best-in-class property management solutions and our unique combination of local leadership and nationally-supported technology, training, and best practices.
We are successfully partnered with more than 500 properties and communities throughout Minnesota, building and maintaining longstanding relationships with Board members, residents, vendors and community leaders. President Mark Gittleman and Executive Vice-President Andy Gittleman, have been in the residential property management industry in the Twin Cities market for over 50 years combined, managing operations and adding value for the residents and communities they serve.