qualification: high school diploma or ged. Some college or college degree a plus. Experience handling animals in a professional environment a plus. Should possess self-starting attitude, strong communication skills, time management skills, ability to work with others both individually and in groups, ability to problem solve and critical thinking skills. Basic computer experience including ms office suite, email and calendar. Able to work flexible hours including some nights, weekends, holidays.
nashville humane association (nha) kennel technician is responsible for maintaining a safe and sanitary facility for animals and people and providing humane handling and care for all shelter animals. Should enjoy spending time with animals of all shapes and sizes and being outdoors year round in all types of weather. Job duties include handling, training, care, feeding, enrichment and cleaning of kennel areas. Must be physically active, reliable, compassionate, and willing to learn and follow nha protocols for cleaning, sanitation, animal handling, and maintaining confidentiality. Experience with animals a plus but not required. Other duties may be assigned.
kennel administration – (80% job tasks/time)
· work with kennel supervisor and other kennel technician staff, to maintain kennel facility, animal holding areas, warehousing and storage areas to ensure facilities are safe and sanitary, while also providing humane handling, management, and care for all shelter animals.
· responsible for all duties related to the care of shelter animals to include cleaning of holding areas, assuring that animals receive food and water, bathing, grooming and animal handling with positive reinforcement.
· observes and evaluates animals for signs of illness and reports symptoms to appropriate personnel in a timely manner.
· performs continual cleaning duties including sanitary cleaning, laundry, dishes, and duties assigned, as designated by shelter cleaning schedule, but also as necessary by observation, to ensure that all facilities are properly maintained, sanitized and meet expected shelter standards.
· records information as required including status updates, behavior notes and medical notes. Ability to use shelter management software (shelter buddy).
· support shelter administration by providing information regarding supply and inventory needs for kennel technician supplies in a manner that adequately allows for purchasing and inventory to be maintained without depletion or interruption to shelter maintenance.
· walking dogs, working with animals on basic training skills and exercise, animal enrichment and overall animal maintenance/management.
· receive, load and unload supplies, donation items, shelter gifts and other inventory items as received by the shelter. Ensure that items are appropriately stored and warehouse/storage areas are organized, cleaned and sanitary.
· assist intake, pet services, adoption counseling and other shelter support tasks as necessary and assigned by shelter leadership.
· assist and support marketing team with collecting content and/or supporting animal handling during events, at the shelter, or otherwise as needed and assigned by shelter leadership.
· support nha events, outreach, fundraising and other tasks as necessary, as requested by shelter leadership.
· understands worked time and break/lunch schedule as applicable.
animal assessment – (20% job tasks/time)
· collaborate with key staff to determine behavior assessment list of shelter animals.
· collaborate with key staff to ensure appropriate number/level of behavior assessments are completed daily.
· collaborate with foster behavior modification coordinator to capture and relay any necessary behavior modification or foster needs for specific animals.
· collaborate with kennel staff to ensure all exercise plans, behavior modification plans and enrichment are completed daily/as needed.
ability to follow directions and adhere to nha kennel procedures, behavior management & training protocols. Ability to learn and perform the skills of safe animal handling per nha protocols. Ability to work continuously on your feet in a physically demanding job. Ability to complete tasks easily and repeatedly like mopping, scrubbing, bending, and lifting up to 50 lbs. Ability to work in inclement weather. Ability to work with varied animal species. Self-motivation, teamwork, strong communication skills & ability to handle stress in a calm, respectful manner. Ability and willingness to work a varied work schedule including weekends and holidays. Nha is a drug free environment. Reliable transportation is a must and the responsibility of the employee.
responsible for supporting shelter staff, when necessary, at the direction of the director of development and executive director. Additionally, this position may be responsible for other duties as assigned though not specifically numerated above and for all duties specifically delegated by shelter leadership including the director of development, medical director and executive director. Possess high degree of discretion, integrity, professionalism and accountability, consistent, punctual and regular attendance, professional image and demeanor both in person and online. Able to successfully travel and maneuver within the day-to-day workspace. Valid driver’s license. All positions require working with, and in direct contact to, shelter animals and various other wildlife.
the above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by this position.
in addition to the above tasks and responsibilities, other related duties may be assigned.
such identification in no way restricts the employer’s right to alter the job as previously held.company description
nashville humane association is a 501c3 private non-profit organization. Nashville humane association is committed to finding responsible homes, controlling pet overpopulation and promoting the humane treatment of animals.