PRFI is currently seeking a Head Start Teacher for the Bronx Head Start Program to be responsible for preparing and implementing lesson plans for minimum of 15 children ages 2.9 to 5 years old (activities and recommendations) including IEP follow-up, while establishing a positive relationship with parents, engaging them to participate in classroom and school activities with children.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Prepare classroom educational material, create inviting learning atmosp.
- Identify children's needs based on written observations.
- Plan and develop activities based on each child's development and learning list and the writer observations.
- Adapt curriculum based on the children's developmental level.
- Responsible for the official documents of the Program, (lesson plans, attendance books, and observation book, reports).
- Provide input on children's textbooks and educational materials.
- Participate in interdisciplinary team meetings to evaluate children and family needs and progress; arrangement and coordination of indicated services as needed.
- Participate in curricular and extracurricular school activities, orientation and lectures to parents.
- Coordinate and participate in three Parent Teacher Conferences per year.
- Perform at least two (2) home visits per school year per child.
- Prepare monthly statistical report.
- Ensure that screenings and assessments are completed and appropriate follow-up and/or referrals are completed as needed.
- Maintain a safe and healthy environment. Share the responsibility of maintaining orderliness and cleanliness in the classroom.
- Administer appropriate first aid to children when necessary, following safety protocols.
- Supervise children during breakfast, lunch, snack and recess periods; outdoor and indoor activities. Supervise children until parents or designated adult picks them up from the Program.
- Assist with daily personal hygiene of the children such as diapering, feeding, tooth brushing, toileting, hand-washing, and resting.
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education, Master preferred and NYS Teaching Certification Birth-2 years, N-6. Previous Head Start or early childhood experience preferred.
All candidates must be able to meet state-mandated clearance requirements including:
- Current physical examination and TB screen documentation upon hire
- Current CPR/First Aid certificates
- Criminal background check
- Central State Registry Clearance
The ideal candidate will have a commitment to multicultural programming and the ability to meet program requirements while placing the needs of children and families first. Understanding of the Head Start philosophy, Head Start Performance Standards and DOH Regulations, Experience with Creative Curriculum and Teaching Strategies, Gold Assessment System is necessary. S/He must be able to communicate effectively in written or verbal format to groups of all sizes and individuals and be computer proficient.
Language proficiency in spoken and written English and Spanish and/or English and French preferred. Send resumes and cover letter to: (Please contact us using the "Apply for this Job Posting" box below), Director.
PRFI offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.Company Description
Puerto Rican Family Institute, Inc. (PRFI), founded in 1960, is a nonprofit, multi-program family-oriented health and human services agency whose primary mission is to prevent family disintegration and enhance the self-sufficiency of underserved communities. PRFI offers a comprehensive array of social and health care services that are culturally and linguistically relevant. Our core services include mental health treatment, crisis intervention, adult and children’s health care coordination, child placement prevention, residential programs for developmentally disabled adults, and Head Start programs. Our programs operate in New York City and in Puerto Rico and are available to clients of all races and ethnic backgrounds.
Follow us on Facebook; /PRFIORG