Penn Medicine's Clinical Engineering Department is looking for a Biomedical Equipment Technician III
Working under limited supervision the Lead Biomedical Equipment Technician is responsible for assisting in maintaining equipment.
• Maintain, repair and calibrate patient care medical devices.
• Perform quality assurance inspections in accordance with applicable codes, standards, and manufacturer recommendations.
• Maintain vendor-recommended preventive maintenance program.
• Maintain a cost-effective inventory, utilizing second sources, of replacement materials required to service and maintain medical devices within the facilities.
• Maintain appropriate service and calibration documentation in accordance with applicable laws and standards.
• Assist with training of clinical personnel on user operation and maintenance of equipment, as needed.
• Recommend the use of outside service personnel, as required.
• Provide technical training to all other Biomedical Equipment Technicians (BMET) concerning patient care medical devices.
• Attend pertinent service and training seminars as required, to enhance skill level and decrease device operational costs, post warranty.
• Assist with equipment planning and pre-purchase evaluations of new equipment.
• Assist with the acceptance inspections, the relocation of existing, and with the installation of new equipment when required.
• Attend Biomedical Engineering Department (BME) Department and Medical Services Division staff meetings.
• Provide technical assistance and instruction to personnel regarding equipment operation and maintenance.
• Review outcome of preventive maintenance actions and make recommendations to department staff concerning improvements.
• Provide mentoring to other biomedical equipment technicians.
• May assist senior biomedical engineering technicians or supervisor with in-service educational programs on use of equipment.
• Provide operational leadership to personnel and possibly serve as temporary site manager in the absence of the director/manager/supervisor.
• Recommend new equipment and testing procedures.
• Provide in-service educational programs on use of equipment.
• Collaborate with Information Services to ensure Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) compliance and connectivity of biomedical devices.
• Understand and comply with Joint Commission and other applicable standards and regulations.
• Special projects as assigned by Manager.
• Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
• Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Minimum Education & Experience Required:
• High School Diploma or GED required
• Associate’s degree in Applied Science or related field preferred
• 4+ years of experience in the repair and maintenance of medical equipment required
Licenses, Registrations, and Certifications:
• AAMI certification preferred
• Must be capable of trouble-shooting bio-medical devices and related equipment
• Must possess knowledge about the proper use of diagnostic tools, test equipment and software, where applicable
• Experience working with medical hardware, software and equipment products required
• Must understand medical device usage within a health system environment
• Strong customer service orientation and ability to follow through issues to resolution.
• Ability to interact with all levels of Health System personnel to include: management staff, consulting staff, clinicians, clinical administrators, etc.
• Familiarity with process improvement activities required
• Knowledge of healthcare operations and the use of medical technology in the practicing healthcare environment required
• Must be able to function as part of a team providing a high level of quality service to clients