Reporting Relationships: Reports to Director or AVP. Eight to 15 direct reports.
• Leads strategic and tactical planning for the department and management of associates including performance, salary planning and administration, training and development, workflow planning, hiring and placement and disciplinary actions.
• Builds a working environment that fosters achievement of the highest level of technical proficiency and professionalism with staff.
• Manages and measures individual performance and team operational results, including customer service, indemnity and expense outcomes and strategic alignment with division goals and objectives.
• Manages large accounts involving maintaining, developing and influencing relationships with major customers and/or program managers.
• Leads the handling and resolution of all claims within area of responsibility and authority. Manages reserve process to ensure reserve adequacy. Approves claim reserves and payments within authority and as necessary.
• Provides leadership in understanding and interpreting industry data and trends for a broad range of audience.
• Develops department and unit strategic and tactical objectives. Assists senior management in development of strategic objectives.
May perform other duties as assigned.
Education: Undergraduate degree preferred. Completion of general insurance courses, such as IIA, AEI and/or CPCU preferred. Leadership/management classes and/or insurance technical classes preferred.
Experience: Ten years insurance claims experience, including two years prior claims management experience preferred. Proven experience handling and/or managing the most serious and complex claims and litigation is required.
Knowledge: Requires superior knowledge of the general agency system, state insurance department regulation, unfair claim handling regulations and tort law. Multi-line, multi-jurisdictional, and E&S experience preferred. Knowledge of underwriting polices. Understanding of accounting practices, concepts, techniques and coverage. Knowledge in reinsurance principles and statistics. General understanding of legal, actuarial, financial, sales, underwriting and claims policies and practices as they relate to the reinsurance function. This position may require specific expert skill/knowledge in insurance lines such as medical liability, lawyers errors and omissions, construction, directors and officers, EPLI and other specialty lines/risks.
Skills/Competencies: Ability to effectively connect with individuals and groups. Exceptional listening, written and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively influence, train others, present information, communicate with senior management, agents, brokers and policyholders Ability to analyze data and interpret trends.
Staffing Exceptions to the above minimum job requirements must be approved by the: Vice President and Human Resources Vice President.
Overtime Eligibility: Not Eligible (exempt)
Working Conditions: Normal office environment.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Credit Check: Due to the fiduciary accountabilities within this job, a valid credit check and/or background check will be required as part of the selection process.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
Nationwide is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive culture where everyone feels challenged, appreciated, respected and engaged. Nationwide prohibits discrimination and harassment and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to any characteristic (or classification) protected by applicable law.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.#claims