Data Scientist (1201)
Location: St Louis, MO
Relocation: Will be considered on a case by case basis.
The primary objective of this role is to provide support to stakeholders throughout the organization using insights from large data sets that will drive improved business outcomes. As a central and cross-functional team member to the firm, the Data Scientist will have an opportunity to contribute in the development of public-private partnerships, fundraising efforts, communication and thought leadership pieces, investment strategy and performance measurement and evaluation. Specifically, the position will be responsible for collecting, translating and reporting the financial, as well as government and social science, data components of the company into data-based deliverables in accordance with the needs of a growing data management plan. They will also collaborate on the design, implementation, development and management of an increasingly adaptable, robust database with expectations of evolving demands and sophistication of output.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Collect, quality check and capture investment related data from new and existing investments through the onboarding and quarterly portfolio management processes, as well as bi-annual portfolio surveys, site visits and alternative data sources.
- Analyze and interpret portfolio company financial and other impact related data to establish improved metrics and methods of reporting, policy initiatives, business strategy and marketing techniques.
- Identify research initiatives and business needs, as well as create business strategy and goals using insightful discovery of data findings from internal datasets and public social and economic sources.
- Collaborate on the architectural, logical and physical design needs of the database, including data structure and behavior, input and output processes, storage, processing requirements, user experience, display/visualization, and system control and backup. As well, monitor and manage maintenance needs, performance, usership and feature enhancement of the database.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Analytics, Statistics, Mathematics or another quantitative or technical area including but not limited to Economics, Information Systems, or Financial Engineering.
- Experiential proficiency with finance and economic concepts, with proven interest in their relationships to government policy and community and economic development.
- Significant experience collecting and organizing structured and unstructured data, pulling data from relational and non-relational databases, manipulating data and building analytical and statistical models, and producing visualizations and reporting dashboards.
- Expert excel skills and statistical analysis, and familiarity with related tools.
- Experience, sensibilities or curiosity for programming languages, technology and tools designed for big data, data management, analysis and reporting.