We are currently accepting resumes for future project work. Qualified candidates will be contacted once next steps have been identified.
Our Transportation Construction, Engineering and Inspection group assists in all levels of federal, public, private and international organizations by offering planning, design, and construction services for transportation systems that reflect community needs. Our value-added program management, best-in-class design-build expertise, and unparalleled sustainability and economic solutions, build partnerships and create solutions for current and future environmental and infrastructure challenges.
CDM Smith's CEI NY team is seeking a candidate to inspect and monitor construction activities at the project site(s). Senior Inspector I must be able to perform the most complex inspection duties for Roadway and/or Bridge activities plus each of the following categories of inspection: 1) Drainage, 2) Erosion Control, 3) Maintenance of Traffic. Candidate will work under limited supervision or direct supervision depending on the demonstrated knowledge for the assignment. Work will require the knowledge of materials, methods, and equipment used in highway construction; knowledge of geometry and basic mathematics; ability to read, interpret and explain construction plans and drawings, contract provisions, and specifications; and communications ability.
- Supervises Inspection staff as assigned. Develops the Inspection Plan, assigns work to Inspectors, evaluates their work, and solves problems.
- Performs complex and routine/standard inspections of construction to evaluate if appropriate materials and construction processes are used; and that construction conforms to plans, specifications, and special provisions. Uses higher grade of equipment and performs complex calculations to perform inspection.
- Reviews drawings to prepare for the inspection. Understands the design of the construction that will be inspected.
- Documents the results of the inspection and communicates to the supervisor.
- Conducts field measurements to establish quantities for pay item documentation as well as other contract administration documentation.
- Inspects work zones for proper traffic control setup, erosion control devices and maintenance thereof, utility coordination and right-of-way issue resolution.
High School diploma or equivalent. Certifications from a State Highway Agency or National Entity such as ACI (American Concrete Institute) or NICET (National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies) in earthwork, asphalt, and concrete if required by the client or jurisdiction in which they will be working.
Must possess a valid driver’s license.
8 years of related experience.
Domestic and/or international travel may be required. The frequency of travel is contingent on specific duties, responsibilities, and the essential functions of the position, which may vary depending on workload and project demands.
Skills and Abilities
Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing in English. Intermediate knowledge of mathematical functions including geometry and trigonometry. Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite of applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.). Ability to
- Prefer NYDOT certifications or certifications from a National Entity such as ACI (American Concrete Institute) or NICET (National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies) in earthwork, asphalt, and concrete.