Job Title: Bindery Operator
Reports to: Bindery Manager
FLSA Status: non-exempt
To operate and troubleshoot Saddle Stitch machines. Perform duties including: general maintenance, minor repairs, adjustments, and operation of Stitching equipment. Will also train and coordinate employees. Heidelberg ST400 experience or other stitch machine experience preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
· Knowledge and ability to set up, troubleshoot and operate a saddle stitcher.
· Ability to set pockets, set and manipulate stitcher heads for various thicknesses, as well as set 3 knife trimmer is paramount.
· Trouble shoot, diagnose and correct machine breakdowns
· Knowledge of start-up procedures to maximize efficiency and minimize waste
· Set-Up print jobs in accordance to work order specifications
· Monitor average finished product’s produced
· Track shortages and adjust accordingly
· Perform quality inspections on finished products.
· Ability to work with crew to coordinate duties, work flow and schedules
· Promote productivity and efficiency with crew
· Train and develop crew
Other duties may be assigned.
Responsible for maintaining a clean, clear and safe work environment by keeping skids neatly stacked, floors swept and materials organized.
Expected to observe and perform general safety procedures including but not limited to wearing ear plugs, gloves and safety glasses when required.
Set up and operate the bindery lines in a safe manor making sure all safety devices and machine guards are in the proper positions and working order.
Expected to observe and monitor employees to ensure compliance with safety measures.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Skills, knowledge and abilities
· Ability to lead and direct a crew with strong people and communication skills
· Strong mechanical abilities including: machine repair and maintenance, understanding of basic measurements and required tools.
· Ability to set up, troubleshoot, adjust and operate all bindery equipment
· Ability to bend, squat, twist, work/stand up to 12 hours and lift up to 60 lbs
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
No minimum education required. Must have an understanding of basic machinery and tools or a strong mechanical aptitude.
LANGUAGE SKILLS Ability to read and interpret document such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals and written work orders. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of employees.
MATHMATICAL SKILLS Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
REASONING ABILITYT Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Newspaper Printing Company is a well established commercial printer sunny Tampa Florida offering great benefits and competitive pay, all in beautiful sunny Florida.