Recommend English Idioms Books
Choose a group below, to see definitions and examples for some English idioms.
We recommend the following English Idioms Books:
1. A Dictionary of American Idioms by Adam Makkai, M. T. Boatner, J. E. Gates, Paperback: 544 pages, Publisher: Barron's Educational Series;
2. British Slang Dictionary (NTC's Super-mini S.) Ewart James; Paperback 192 pages (January 1, 2000) Publisher: Contemporary Books;
Practical and up-to-date, Ewart James dictionary of British slang contains nearly 2000 definitions yet measures a mere five and a half by three and half inches. Also included are some 2000 uniquely British expressions.
3. 101 American English Idioms by David J. Collis, Paperback: 128 pages, Publisher: McGraw-Hill;
This book includes 101 popular American English idioms along with an illustration for each that children will find amusing. Note that the illustrations are purely for amusement rather than providing visual explanations of the idiom. Some of the idioms are more popular than others but overall a good selection has been made. Each idiom is explained in detail and with example sentences and a larger context.
4. Street Talk-1: How to Speak and Understand American Slang by David Burke, Paperback: 269 pages, Publisher: Optima Books;
Street Talk 1 contains more than 1,150 commonly used American slang terms and expressions...the words and phrases heard everyday that don't always make sense. If you are confused by American English and would like to speak and understand like a native, you need to read this book. This is the first self-teaching book on American slang that is written for the non-native speaker. Readers will learn the "inside" language that is heard in everyday conversations, at the movies, on the radio, and seen in books, magazines, and advertisements. This often mysterious language of slang and idioms is clearly explained through dialogues, pronunciation tips, word games, and illustrations.
5. Practical Idioms: Using Phrasal Verbs in Everyday Contexts by Louis A. Berman, Laurette Kirstein, Paperback: 192 pages Publisher: McGraw-Hill;
This text uses a proven, field-tested method for effectively learning over 1,000 useful verb phrases providing examples of colloquial usage and exercises that promote critical thinking.