Oakland School & Camp, Albemarle County:
Oakland School is a small co-ed boarding and day school in Keswick, VA (in Albemarle County, just eleven miles east of historic Charlottesville) that enables children who have dyslexia, learning disabilities, or organizational and study skills difficulties to reach their academic and personal potential. Thanks to a success-oriented environment and time-tested methods, hundreds of Oakland students have successfully returned to mainstream education since the school's founding in 1950.
Designed for boys and girls ages 6-14 with learning disabilities, dyslexia or organizational and study skills difficulties:
Each student receives at least one 30-minute period per day of one-to-one instruction. Children with severe reading disabilities often receive additional "one-to-ones" and may spend 2 1/2 to 3 hours daily in intensive reading instruction. Because the ability to read impacts all aspects of education, teaching reading is a specialty at Oakland.
The beginning reading program is phonics based similar to the Orton-Gillingham method. Phonics and word attack skills are reinforced during one-to-one reading periods and all reading teachers are trained in this method. Many other types of reading, comprehension, and vocabulary instruction are utilized based on individual needs and learning styles. Students typically show 1 1/2 to 2 years of progress in reading each year and are moved ahead as quickly as their abilities allow.
A strong basic skills emphasis is essential to future school success. Therefore, much time is spent on language, math, and study skills. English is taught as two separate courses, encompassing both grammar and written language. Students complete most of their writing on computers and are taught keyboarding and proofing skills as well as how to use spellcheck and grammar check.
Math instruction is individualized as necessary; however, most math classes are taught in small groups of 6 to 8 students. Children progress as quickly as they are able without sacrificing the review of basic skills.
Science and history are taught as study skills classes and are an integral part of the process of transitioning students into mainstream education. Most children do not intuitively learn how to skim and scan for information, outline, take notes from lectures, study for tests, or answer essay questions. These skills are taught through a variety of courses in science and history.
- Boys and Girls ages 7-14 at admission
- Average to above-average intelligence
- Learning disabled/dyslexic, organizational difficulties
- Oakland is not appropriate for behavior disordered or emotionally disturbed children.
- School size: Approximately 85 boarding and day students during the school year and 135 students during the six-week summer program.
- Average stay is 2-4 years.
- Un-graded curriculum through 9th grade
- Individualized programs
- Overall student/teacher ratio of 5:1
- One-to-one and small group instruction
- Emphasis on basic skills (teaching reading is an Oakland specialty)
- Instruction in organizational and study skills development
- Home-like atmosphere
- 450-acre grounds, the centerpiece of which is the pre-Revolutionary “Big House”
- Fully-equipped gym and recreation building
- Structured athletic and recreational program
- Intramural and team sports
- Strong horseback riding program
- Emphasis on character development
- Supervised evening study halls
Email: Contact Us
- Courses / Programs
|Address: Boyd Tavern, Keswick, Charlottesville, Virginia , USA|
|Search schools here by state/city for Alabama, Arizona-Phoenix, Arkansas, California-LA County/Bay Area, Colorado-Denver, Florida-Miami-Dade, Georgia-Atlanta, Illinois-Chicago/Cook County, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mass-Boston, Michigan, Minnesota-Minneapolis, Mississippi, Missouri-St Louis, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio-Cleveland, Oklahoma, Oregon-Portland, South Carolina, South Dakota, Pennsylvania-Philadelphia, Tennessee, Texas-Houston/Dallas, Utah, Virginia, Washington-Seattle, Wisconsin-Milwaukee & more...
Search career colleges in Canada by province/city in Abbotsford, Burnaby, Kelowna, Surrey, Victoria, Vancouver, BC, Hamilton, Kitchener, London, Ottawa, Toronto, Ontario, Calgary, Edmonton, Alberta, Winnipeg, Manitoba & more...
© 2003-2021 Learn4Good Ltd: Site listing Education Programs, Career Training & Jobs worldwide.