Mexico Visa Requirements: Mexican visa application form information on Mexico visas for travel, tourist visa, visitor / transit visa, student visa. Mexican embassy address,...
Search for Schools:
Traveler's Guide

Mexico Visa Information

Learn4good provides general information on study, travel, work visa and business visa requirements and the addresses of embassies worldwide. You should contact your local embassy or consulate for the most up-to-date information or visa forms.

Who requires a visa?

Tourist Visa

You will need a visa if you are a citizen of:
Afghanistan, Albania, Algiers, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Benin, Bhutan Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Congo, Rep. Dem (Zaire), Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Cuba, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, East Timor, Ecuador, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Haiti, Honduras, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea, North, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar (Burma), Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Palestine, Papua New,Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Qatar, Russian Federation, Rwanda, Sahrawi Arab Dem. Rep., Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Salomon Islands, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia and Montenegro, Seychelles Islands, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Stateless Persons, Sudan, Surinam, Swaziland, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, The Bahamas, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Vietnam, Western Samoa, Yemen, Zaire, Zambia, Zimbabwe.

Citizens of the following countries do not require a visa:
Andorra, Argentina, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hong Kong,* Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Panama, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, The United States of America, Uruguay or Venezuela

*Chinese citizens with passports issued by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.

U.S. citizens do not require a visa or a tourist card for tourist stays of 72 hours or less within the 20-30 kilometer “border zone". U.S. citizens traveling as tourists beyond the “border zone”, or entering Mexico by air, must pay a fee to obtain a tourist card, also known as an FMM (Forma Migratoria Multiple), available from Mexican border crossing points, Mexican tourism offices, airports within the border zone and most airlines serving Mexico. The fee for the tourist card is generally included in the price of a plane ticket for travelers arriving by air. U.S. citizens fill out the FMM form; Mexican immigration retains the large portion and the traveler is given the small right-hand portion. Travelers should always carry a photocopy of their passport data page and FMM. Upon exiting the country at a Mexican Immigration (INM) departure check point, U.S. citizens are required to turn in this form.

What documents will be required?
You can enter Mexico without a visa showing your passport and the “migration Form for Tourists, Transmigrants, Visiting Businesspersons, or Visiting Consultants”, which you can obtain from travel agencies, airlines, or at your point of entry into Mexico. This option also applies for permanent legal residents in the USA, Canada or Japan, regardless of nationality.

Under an agreement with Canada and the USA, those countries’ citizens may prove their nationality with a passport or other public documents, such as:
- Certified copy of birth certificate.
- Voter registration card.
- Naturalization certificate.

If any of these documents lack a photograph, travelers must prove their nationality with another official identification:
- Driver's license.
- Identification issued by a state or official agency.

Although Canadian and US citizens do not need a passport, the National Institute of Migration recommends one to expedite passage through the point of entry.

Important: From January 23, 2007, American citizens who travel to Mexico, to return to the United States airway they will have to present an in force passport.

Tourist visas
If applying for a Tourist Visa you will need to submit the following documentation: 
– Passport with minimum of 6 months’ validity. 
– Application form. 
– 1 passport-size photo. 
– Original return ticket. 
– Fee (payable in cash only). 
– Proof of sufficient funds (US$50 per day) to cover length of stay. 
– Postal applications must be accompanied by a covering letter specifying the purpose of the trip and the dates of entry and departure. Applications should be made in a stamped, self-addressed envelope with recorded or registered delivery.

Student Visas
If applying for a Student Visa you will need to submit the following documentation: 
- Passport or valid identification and travel document. 
– Proof of enrollment or letter of acceptance from the school you plan to attend, specifying level, grade, duration of your planned studies, and field of study. 
– Proof of economic solvency and periodic and uninterrupted receipt of the sum of US$ 300.00 monthly, for your living expenses for the duration of your studies or documentation proving that you have been granted a scholarship for the period in question. 
– For family members (spouse, children, or parents) to accompany you, you must prove their status.

Time required to issue a visa:
Average 2 days; up to 3 weeks, depending on nationality.

What is the cost of a visa?
Varies, depending on nationality:
Approx. US$17 - $30

How long is the visa valid for?
Student visas are valid for one year.
Tourist visas and cards are valid for up to 6 months (180 days).

Other information:
To extend your tourist visa, you must visit any National Institute of Migration office or delegation to apply for an extension of your tourist migration form. This procedure takes only a few minutes and the requisites are as follows:
– Passport or valid identification and travel document.
– Valid tourist migration form.
– Proof that you have sufficient economic resources to prolong your stay.
– Payment of duties.

As a tourist, you may stay in Mexico for up to 180 days.

Embassy contact information:
Please contact the nearest Mexican embassy for information on what documentation you may require to enter Mexico.

Disclaimer: The contents of these pages are provided as an information guide only, in good faith. The use of this website is at the viewer/user's sole risk. While every effort is made in presenting up-to-date and accurate information, no responsibility or liability is accepted by the owners to this website for any errors, omissions, outdated or misleading information on these pages or any site to which these pages connect or are linked.

Source & Copyright: The source of the above visa and immigration information and copyright owner/s is the:
- Instituto Nacional de Migracion - URL:
- Embajada De Mexico el Reino Unido - URL:
- Travel.State.Gov a service of the Bureau of Consular Affairs - URL:

The viewer/user of this web page should use the above information as a guideline only, and should always contact the above sources or the user's own government representatives for the most up-to-date information at that moment in time, before making a final decision to travel to that country or destination.