Short-term/ long stay child visitor visa for UK requirements: Supporting documents for application, general visitor visa for minors requirements, child study visa, UK visas for family visits, application form information, UK embassy contact details, London visit visa..
Search for Schools:

Child Visitor Visas for UK

Child Visitor Visas for UK
You can apply for a Child Visitor visa if you want to come to the UK and:

  • you are under 18
  • you are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
  • you meet the other eligibility requirements

You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks of applying.
You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.
You can only stay in the UK for a maximum of 6 months, or 12 months if you're travelling with an academic visitor, e.g. a teacher or researcher.

Long term visit Visa for a Child 
You can also apply for a long-term visit visa if you can prove you need to make repeat visits over a longer period. You can stay for a maximum of 6 months on each visit and your visa can last for 1, 2, 5 or 10 years. 

Your visa will only last up to 6 months past your 18th birthday - after that you'll need to apply for a long-term visit visa as an adult.

With Child Visitor Visa one can:

  • stay in the UK for a maximum of 6 months
  • take a short course of study, for up to 6 months
  • stay for as long as your visa lasts, even if you turn 18 during your visit

With Child Visitor Visa one cannot:

  • work
  • get married or form a civil partnership
  • bring family members (‘dependants') with you on your application - they must apply separately
  • get private medical treatment
  • get public funds
  • study at a government-funded school (unless you're coming to the UK as part of an exchange programme or educational visit)

To come to the UK as a child visitor, the applicant must:

  • be under 18 years old
  • be visiting the UK for no more than 6 months (or 12 months if you're travelling with an academic visitor)
  • have made suitable arrangements for your travel to and your stay in the UK
  • have consent from your parent or guardian for your trip to the UK
  • be able to pay for your return or onward journey
  • have enough money to support yourself without working or help from public funds, or have relatives and friends who can support and house you

Also regarding a Long-term Visit Visa
The applicant must also prove that:

  • you have a frequent and ongoing need to come to the UK
  • your reason for coming to the UK is unlikely to change significantly while the visa is valid
  • you plan to leave the UK at the end of each visit

Your visa may be taken away (revoked) and you may get a long-term ban on visiting if your travel history shows you're repeatedly living in the UK for extended periods.

Required documentation

  • a current passport or other valid travel identification
  • 1 passport-sized colour photograph
  • proof you can support yourself during your trip (eg bank statements) or that you will be financially supported by your parents or carers
  • contact details for at least one parent or guardian in your home country
  • details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans - you should not pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa
  • your tuberculosis (TB) test results if you're from a country where you have to take the test

If you are coming to the UK to study, you should provide details of the course and the institution where you will be studying.

  • You must provide the original plus a photocopy of every document you provide.
  • You will need to have a blank (spare) page in your passport on which to put the visa.

Study as a child visitor 
You can take a short study course (up to 6 months) during your visit.
You must be accepted on a course at a place of study that's one of the following:

  • accredited by Accreditation UK, Accreditation Body for Language Services, British Accreditation Council, Accreditation Service for International Colleges
  • an organisation that is licensed to sponsor Tier 4 migrants

Otherwise your course will need to be held at an educational institution listed by one of the following:

  • Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted)
  • Education and Training Inspectorate (in Northern Ireland)
  • Estyn (in Wales)
  • HM Inspectorate of Education (in Scotland)
  • Independent Schools Inspectorate
  • Schools Inspection Service
  • Bridge School Inspectorate

You cannot study at a government-funded school (a ‘maintained school') unless you are coming to the UK as part of an exchange programme or educational visit.

Apply from outside the uk
You must apply online for a Child Visitor visa.
You will need to have your fingerprints and photograph (known as ‘biometric information') taken at a visa application centre as part of your application.

You may be able to get your visa faster or other services depending on what country you're in - check with your visa application centre.

Extending visa
You can apply to extend your visa if it is for less than 6 months (or less than 12 months if you are with an academic visitor).
You must apply while you are still in the UK.
You should apply before your current visa expires.

Turning 18 while in the UK

You must extend your stay by applying for a visitor visa if you turn 18 while you are in the UK (and your visa is for less than 6 months).

If successful, this will allow you to extend your stay up to the maximum duration of 6 months (12 months if you are travelling with an academic visitor).

How long it takes
A decision will be made:

  • within 8 weeks for postal applications
  • usually on the same day if you use the premium service

You'll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, eg:

  • if your supporting documents need to be verified
  • if you need to attend an interview
  • because of your personal circumstances (for example if you have a criminal conviction)

Once you have applied you can stay in the UK until you have been given a decision, as long as you applied before your last visa expired.

Travelling with an Adult
When travelling to the UK with an adult (someone over the age of 18), you will need to identify them in your visa application. Their name will appear on your visa, and you will be refused entry to the UK if you arrive in the UK without them. You can identify up to 2 adults in your visa application, and your visa will only be valid if you travel with at least one of them. The adult can apply for a visa at the same time, but you must each complete separate applications. 

Travelling Alone
You can travel to the UK without an adult (someone over the age of 18).
Your parent or guardian will need to provide their:

  • written consent for you to travel to the UK
  • full contact details

They will also need to provide proof that you have somewhere suitable to live during your stay in the UK, including:

  • the name and date of birth of the person that you will be staying with
  • an address where you will be living
  • details of your relationship to the person who will be looking after you
  • consent in writing so they can look after you during your stay in the UK

You must provide a letter from the school confirming it has notified the local authority of your visit and your care arrangements if:

  • you will be studying in the UK during your stay
  • you are under 16

You must include the reply from the local authority if the school has received one.

The Requirements of some Airlines at the time of publishing this page:
(Always contact airlines directly for their most up-to-date travel information & requirements)

(Infant fares only) Ryanair does not permit children under 16 to travel unaccompanied. 

American Airlines
(2-11) Children aged between 5 and 11 may travel alone. Unaccompanied Minor Assistance is required. 

British Airways
(2-11, some routes) Children aged 5 to 12 can travel alone but must be registered with BA's Skyflyer Solo service. Otherwise, they must be accompanied by an adult aged 16 or over. Restrictions apply to journeys which include a stop-over lasting more than six hours. 

(Infants only) EasyJet does not accept unaccompanied minors under the age of 14 for travel. 

(2-11) Children aged 5 to 11 are classified as unaccompanied minors and are cared for by dedicated ground staff. 

(2-12) Unaccompanied children ages 5-11 must make use of the airline's supervision service, or travel with someone who is at least 12 years of age. 12 to 17-year-olds can also be looked after at the request of a parent or guardian. 

Qatar Airways
(2-11) Escort Service is available to children between the ages of 5 and 15 years. 

Thomas Cook Airlines
(Infant fares only) Unaccompanied minors between 5 and 12 require special assistance. It's also open to minors aged between 12 and 15. Request in advance via the Contact Centre. 

US Airways
(2-14) Kids aged 5 to 11 can travel unaccompanied on direct flights, with assistance from US Airways staff. Assistance is available but not required for 12 to 17-year-olds. 

Virgin Atlantic
(2-11) Children aged 5 to 15 are allowed to fly unaccompanied. Arrange this via Reservations or a travel agent, not online. 

Links to Related Information:

Contact the nearest Embassy / Consulate for UK for the most up-to-date information on what documentation you specifically may require to enter the UK / Britain.

Disclaimer: The contents of this page and other such web pages on this website are provided in good faith as a general information guide only, and the use of this website as an information resource or other is at the viewer/user's sole risk. While every effort is made in presenting up-to-date and accurate information, no responsibility or liability is accepted by the owners to this website for any errors, omissions, outdated or misleading information on these pages or any other website to which these pages connect or are linked.

Source & Copyright: The source of the above visa and immigration information and copyright owner/s is the:

  • UK Visas and Immigration (part of Home Office) – URL:
  • The British Foreign & Commonwealth Office – URL:

The viewer/user of this web page should use the above information as a guideline only, and should always contact the above sources or the user's own government representatives for the most up-to-date information at that moment in time, before making a final decision to travel to that country or destination.

Sponsored Links
Traveler's Guide
Sponsored Links