Short-term/ long stay child visa for USA requirements: Supporting documents for application, general visitor/ tourist visa requirements, child study visa, U.S. visas for family visits, application form information, U.S. embassy contact details, New York, USA visit visa for minors..
Search for Schools:

Child Visitor Visas for USA

Child Visitor Visas for USA
All travelers, including minors, need a visa to travel to the United States or must qualify to travel without a visa through a special program, such as the Visa Waiver Program.

Visa Interview for a child who is 13 and younger is generally not required, but consular officers have the discretion to require an interview of any applicant, regardless of age.

An appointment must be scheduled for visa interview, generally, at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where the applicant lives.

The attending parent must bring the minor’s passport and an original copy of the minor’s birth certificate. Parents must bring their current valid passport with U.S. visa (current or expired) to the interview.

Even when neither parent is intending to travel with the minor, the parents must provide evidence of the family’s long-term economic, family, academic, and personal ties that would compel the applicant to return home after a short visit to the United States. Legal guardians must show proof of custody of all minor children.

Children who travel to the United States to study or to participate in study-based exchange visitor programs should apply for a student visa (F-1, M-1 or J-1).

Visas For Younger Students
Students wanting to study at elementary school (from grades kindergarten through 8, and approximately 5 to 14 years old) or high school (grades 9-12) are required to hold F-1 student visas, with some exceptions.

A child may not study at a public elementary school with a nonimmigrant F-1 student visa. Study at a public high school with an F-1 visa is limited to one year, and full reimbursement for the total cost of the education must be confirmed ahead of time.

U.S. law requires that applicants for nonimmigrant visas, including exchange visas, provide evidence that they don't intend to immigrate to the United States. The parents of younger students must provide this evidence based on the parents’ economic and social ties to their home country.

Because each person's personal situation is different, people applying for the same kind of visa may be asked different questions and be required to submit different documents. Remember that a visa is not a guarantee of entry to the United States. The immigration officer at the port of entry determines whether or not you may enter and the authorized duration of stay.

Links to Related Information:

Embassy Contact Information:
Contact the nearest Embassy / Consulate for USA for the most up-to-date information on what documentation you specifically may require to enter USA.

Disclaimer: The contents of this page and other such web pages on this website are provided in good faith as a general information guide only, and the use of this website as an information resource or other is at the viewer/user’s sole risk. While every effort is made in presenting up-to-date and accurate information, no responsibility or liability is accepted by the owners to this website for any errors, omissions, outdated or misleading information on these pages or any other website to which these pages connect or are linked.

Source & Copyright: The source of the above visa and immigration information and copyright owner/s is the:

  • The U.S. Department of State – URL:
  • The U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs – URL:
  • Embassy of the United States, Israel–

The viewer/user of this web page should use the above information as a guideline only, and should always contact the above sources or the user’s own government representatives for the most up-to-date information at that moment in time, before making a final decision to travel to that country or destination.

Traveler's Guide
Sponsored Links