1. Basic Vocabulary in Use: Reference and Practice for Students of North American English (Student Book without Answers and Audio CD) by Michael McCarthy, Felicity O’Dell, Ellen Shaw, Paperback: 144 pages, Publisher: Cambridge University Press
This vocabulary text helps beginning students gain knowledge of basic North American English vocabulary. This North American English edition of the popular English Vocabulary in Use series is appropriate for classroom use and for self-study reference and practice. An easy-to-use format presents a content or grammar-based area of vocabulary on the left-hand page and innovative practice activities on the right-hand page. Sixty units cover approximately 1,200 new vocabulary items. Firmly based on current vocabulary acquisition theory, Vocabulary in Use promotes good learning habits and teaches students how to discover rules for using vocabulary correctly. Both an intermediate and upper-intermediate level are also available. Each level offers an index with phonetic transcriptions and a complete answer key, as well as an edition without answers.
2. English Vocabulary in Use Elementary, with Answers by Michael McCarthy, Felicity O’Dell, Paperback: 170 pages, Publisher: Cambridge University Press
English Vocabulary in Use Elementary is a vocabulary book for learners of English, primarily designed as a self-study reference and practice book, but which can also be used for classroom work. * 60 easy-to-use units: vocabulary items are presented and explained on left-hand pages with a variety of follow up activities on right-hand pages. * Presents and explains new words in context and shows learners how to use them and how to work out rules for using them. * Based on a corpus of real written and spoken language. * Suggests tips and techniques for good vocabulary learning habits. * Contains a comprehensive, student-friendly key. * Includes a detailed index with phonetic transcription. * Beautifully illustrated in full colour.
3. The Oxford Picture Dictionary: Monolingual by Norma Shapiro, Jayme Adelson-Goldstein, Paperback: 216 pages, Publisher: Oxford University Press
This dictionary illustrates more than 3700 words. The full-color pictures are logically arranged into 12 thematic groupings including everyday language, people, housing, food, clothing, health, community, transportation, plants and animals, work, and recreation. Color-coded strips and icons in the margins make for easy access. The words selected constitute a practical and necessary vocabulary for anyone learning English. Exercises that enable readers to practice and review new words and phrases appear on the bottom of each page. Nouns, adjectives, prepositions, and adverbs are included in numbered lists that correspond with the pictures. The alphabetical and geographical indexes help to locate words and provide pronunciations. The graphics are particularly appealing; arranged in varying formats but never cluttered, the pictures are clear, realistic, and contemporary. This dictionary is also available in English with Spanish, Russian, Arabic, Chinese & others.
4. The Oxford Picture Dictionary: Beginning Workbook by Marjorie Fuchs, Lynne Barsky, Paperback: 194 pages, Publisher: Oxford University Press
Works best with the picture dictionary. The directions are easy to read & understand, especially for the ESL student.
5. 1001 Most Useful English Words For Spanish-Speaking People (Beginners’ Guides) by Seymour Resnick, Paperback: 64 pages, Publisher: Dover Publications
The most useful English words are presented in alphabetical order, and each is used in a simple English sentence followed by a Spanish translation. Following this alphabetical dictionary listing, there are twelve sections of words divided into helpful categories: family, days, months and seasons, numbers, colors, food, parts of the body, stores, professions and more
6. Word By Word Dictionary by Steven J. Molinsky, Bill Bliss, Paperback: 538 pages, Publisher: Pearson ESL
A companion to the best-selling Word by Word Picture Dictionary, this workbook is filled with activities for beginning learners of English as a Second Language. Covers a wide range of topics, including clothing, home, transportation, and more. Beginning-level ESL learners.
7. Easy English Vocabulary Games by Linda Schinke-Llano, Paperback: 80 pages, Publisher: McGraw-Hill
Over 65 games & activities, including anagrams, hidden words, crossword puzzles, and scrambled sentences help users learn basic vocabulary skills. Includes answer key.