Canadian Centre for Verbatim Studies:
Canadian Centre for Verbatim Studies is a Ministry-approved, private career college that specializes in the training and professional development of legal transcriptionists and court reporters. We provide a 14-week online Court Transcription certification program and a 4 week to 4-month Digital Legal Monitor (digital court reporter) course for home-study students living in Canada. Our specialist courses are taught by seasoned professionals who provide engaging, expert instruction coupled with guided practice and real-world application, and offer you the rare opportunity to work in the middle of the action of the legal profession without a law degree.
• An ACT is an independent Authorized Court Transcriptionist who transcribes and certifies transcripts of Ontario in-court proceedings from audio recordings.
• Importantly, ACTs are not required to be in court. Once they receive the audio files, they can produce the transcript from anywhere.
• We provide our students with a comprehensive education in court transcript production, and ensure that they are fully equipped to produce accurate, reliable transcripts of legal proceedings.
Digital Legal Monitors:
• A digital monitor is a type of court reporter who uses audio equipment to record in-court or pre-trial proceedings.
• A digital monitor is also responsible for all of the duties of a court reporter, including marking exhibits, swearing in witnesses, and providing playbacks.
Government-Level Training & Qualification Standards:
• The Ministry of Attorney General (MAG) of Ontario sets the training and qualification standards for transcript production of Ontario in-court proceedings based on legislation, regulation, policy, and practice direction. Verbatim Studies designs the curriculum based on these standards.
• In 2014, the Ministry of the Attorney General announced a new model for transcript production in Ontario.
• Flexible Study Options
Participants in our Court Transcription program can study from home up until the final exam which takes place at our school in Toronto or at our designated location in Ottawa (depending on your preference).
All classes are delivered online by a professional transcriptionist who has worked for several years as an educator, a court reporter for the Ontario courts, and an ACT.
• Committed to Our Students
We are committed to the success of our students by providing them with a comprehensive education in court transcript production and ensuring that they are fully equipped to produce accurate, reliable transcripts of legal proceedings. We offer our students the rare opportunity to achieve a qualification that allows you to work in the middle of the action of the legal profession without a law degree!
• Study At Your Own Pace
If you ever dreamed of working from home, at your own pace and on your own schedule, then becoming an Authorized Court Transcriptionist (ACT) or Digital Legal Monitor (DLM) may get you one step closer to achieving your career goals.
The Court Transcription course is co-taught by Florent Villeneuve and Mitra Feyzee.
Florent Villeneuve worked as an adult educator for 17 years teaching in health care programs in the Maritime provinces and in Toronto.
After completing his Court Reporting studies at The Canadian Centre for Verbatim Studies, Florent went on to take the Court Transcriptionist course at Durham College, becoming an ACT for the production of Ontario court transcripts.
In 2015, Florent worked for the Ministry of the Attorney General as a Court Reporter, following the Ministry’s guidelines in recording court proceedings. He covered matters in family, commercial, and criminal cases. Florent continues to work as a freelance transcriptionist.
Since 2013, Mitra Feyzee has been working as a ministry-certified court transcriptionist. In addition to this work, she is currently an official court reporter for Superior Court of Justice of Ontario. She has also worked as an official court reporter for the Ontario Court of Justice.
Prior to these roles, Mitra completed the Court Reporting program at the Canadian Centre for Verbatim Studies, and she worked as a Developmental Editor’s Assistant for a publishing company.
Online Court Transcription Certification Program:
- Duration: 14 weeks
- The final exam must be written in person at either our Toronto or Ottawa location.
• Study from your own home or office up until the final exam, which takes place at our school in Toronto or at our designated location in Ottawa (depending on your preference).
• Graduates of our program meet the transcript qualification standards set out by the Ministry of the Attorney General of Ontario, and are eligible to register and become an Authorized Court Transcriptionist (ACT).
• Once graduates start working independently, their work can be done remotely wherever they live within Canada.
This program does not require approval under the Private Career Colleges Act, 2005.
Online Digital Legal Monitor / Court Reporter Program: Self-paced Study. Duration: 4-16 weeks
• A Digital Legal Monitor is a type of court reporter who uses audio equipment to record in-court proceedings.
• While this course is designed to be taken in 4 weeks, students will have access to the course for 4 months. Students can write the final exam at any time during these 4 months.
This program does not require approval under the Private Career Colleges Act, 2005.
• "The instructors, Mitra and Florent, were very knowledgeable, personable, and patient. They went the extra mile to ensure every student learned the skills and obtained the tools and resources required to successfully complete the course. They both, along with the Nancy, the Director of Education, provided ample support and assistance throughout!"
• "Really effective online option for Court Transcription accreditation that fits conveniently into my already busy schedule. The instructors were knowledgeable, caring and worked great as a team, supporting us and each other."
• "It's going so well and I don't think I've ever been happier attending school. Every day I look forward to going to class and learning a new concept and realizing that I can actually DO it. Even the technology part of learning isn't so daunting anymore. Everyone at CCVS really does care and wants the students to succeed."
• "Whether you’re an in-class, hybrid, or on-line student, you’re never excluded from discussions; you’re part of a community that rejoices in each other’s successes and commiserates with each other’s disappointments.
And no one is more enthusiastic about your progress than the staff at CCVS. The teachers are top-notch. Their passion about stenography and its related components (grammar, vocabulary, reporting procedures) is contagious and makes learning a pleasurable experience. They support and advise and help you every step of the way toward your graduation as a reporter."
• "I have been a student at CCVS for seven months now. Deciding to take the plunge and go for it was a very difficult decision to make, but I can honestly say that I've never looked back and regretted it.
All of the staff members at CCVS are very encouraging and helpful. Everyone wants you to succeed. My experience here has been extremely rewarding so far and I'm certain it will continue to be so. I strongly advise anyone with interest to look into this school. The school is definitely one of a kind!"
Specific Contact Pages: - Digital Legal Monitor
- Courses / Programs
|Address: Bay Adelaide Centre, Toronto, Ontario , Canada|
|Search schools here by state/city for Alabama, Arizona-Phoenix, Arkansas, California-LA County/Bay Area, Colorado-Denver, Florida-Miami-Dade, Georgia-Atlanta, Illinois-Chicago/Cook County, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mass-Boston, Michigan, Minnesota-Minneapolis, Mississippi, Missouri-St Louis, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio-Cleveland, Oklahoma, Oregon-Portland, South Carolina, South Dakota, Pennsylvania-Philadelphia, Tennessee, Texas-Houston/Dallas, Utah, Virginia, Washington-Seattle, Wisconsin-Milwaukee & more...
Search career colleges in Canada by province/city in Abbotsford, Burnaby, Kelowna, Surrey, Victoria, Vancouver, BC, Hamilton, Kitchener, London, Ottawa, Toronto, Ontario, Calgary, Edmonton, Alberta, Winnipeg, Manitoba & more...
© 2003-2021 Learn4Good Ltd: Site listing Education Programs, Career Training & Jobs worldwide.