Short-term/ long stay family visitor visa for Canada requirements: Supporting documents for general visitor visa, Canada visas for child visits, parents. Application form information, Canada embassy contact details, Toronto, Ottawa, Ontario, Vancouver BC visit visa for family members.
Search for Schools:

Family Visitor Visa for Canada

Family Visitor Visa for Canada
Family Visitor Visa (Visitor / Temporary Resident Visa)

Visitors are restricted in length of stay, and subject to various conditions. Visitors are deemed as persons who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada, and are legally authorized to enter Canada:

  •  to visit Canada on holiday (vacation),
  •  to visit family,
  •  to conduct business, etc.

Anyone who visits Canada from a temporary resident visa-required country must initially apply from outside the country. A friend or family member must apply to the Canadian visa office responsible for his or her country or region. A visa officer will review the application and decide whether to issue a visa. One may provide a family member or friend a letter of invitation in support of their application.

Temporary Resident Visa
A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is an official document issued by a Canadian visa office that is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident (either as a visitor, a student, or a worker).

Important information

  • You must obtain a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) before your departure.
  • You cannot obtain one upon arrival in Canada.

Requirements for the TRV Visa

  • You must show the immigration officer that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, and that you will be in Canada for a temporary stay.
  • You must satisfy an officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, show that you have enough money to maintain yourself and your family members in Canada and to return home, not intend to work or study in Canada unless authorized to do so, be law abiding and have no record of criminal activity, not be a risk to the security of Canada, provide any additional document requested by the officer to establish your admissibility, and be in good health (complete a medical examination if required).

Your family members include your spouse or common-law partner, your dependent children and any children that are their dependent children.*

*Refers to the children of the applicant and those of the spouse or common-law partner, if applicable. The child must be:

  • under the age of 19 and not have a spouse or common-law partner, or
  • 19 years of age or older and unable to be financially self-sufficient since before the age of 19 due to a physical or mental condition.

Required Documentation
If you are outside of Canada, use the Document Checklist to assist you in gathering the required documents to submit your application. Some visa offices may require additional supporting documents specific to your country.

If you are inside Canada, you must use the Document checklist – Applicants in Canada to gather the documents required to submit your application to the Case Processing Centre – Ottawa (CPC-O).

NOTE: If you do not provide all the requested information or documents, the processing of your application could be delayed.

Super Visa for Family Member
To apply for the Super Visa, you must either be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada. The single or multiple-entry Super Visa allows visitors to stay for a period of up to two years.

Minors Travelling Alone
Minors (under 18 years of age) travelling alone or with a person other than their parents or legal guardians should have a letter of authorization, preferably in English or French, signed by both parents or legal guardians. It should also include the name of the adult who will be responsible for the children in Canada.

Minors travelling with only one parent or legal guardian should have a letter of authorization, preferably in English or French, from the non accompanying parent or guardian.

Links to Related Information:

Embassy Contact Information:
Contact the nearest Embassy / Consulate for Canada for the most up-to-date information on what documentation you specifically may require to enter Canada.

Disclaimer: The contents of this page and other such web pages on this website are provided in good faith as a general information guide only, and the use of this website as an information resource or other is at the viewer/user’s sole risk. While every effort is made in presenting up-to-date and accurate information, no responsibility or liability is accepted by the owners to this website for any errors, omissions, outdated or misleading information on these pages or any other website to which these pages connect or are linked.

Source & Copyright: The source of the above visa and immigration information and copyright owner/s is the:

  • Citizenship and Immigration Canada – URL:

The viewer/user of this web page should use the above information as a guideline only, and should always contact the above sources or the user’s own government representatives for the most up-to-date information at that moment in time, before making a final decision to travel to that country or destination.

Sponsored Links
Traveler's Guide
Sponsored Links