Getting a work permit in the Canada: Long stay/ short-term/ temporary work visa requirements, documents required for Canada employment permit application, general work visa for citizens from U.S., UK, India. Embassy contact details in Ottawa, Toronto, Ontario, Vancouver BC, Winnipeg MB, Calgary- Alberta, Montreal- Quebec..
Search for Schools:

Work Visa for Canada

Work Visa for Canada
Canada Work Permit (Visa)
A work permit to work in Canada is issued to a person who is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada (for a specified job and length of time). It is required whether or not the employer is in Canada. To apply for a work permit at a visa office, you must be legally admitted to or a citizen of a country that is served by this visa office. 


  • A work permit does not let you live in Canada permanently. To do so, you must qualify under an immigration category as a permanent resident.
  • Your spouse or common-law partner and your dependent children may apply to come to Canada with you, and, if they wish, apply for a study or work permit.
    Caregivers who meet certain requirements can apply to stay in Canada permanently.

How to Get a Work Visa for Canada

  • In most cases, you will need a written job offer or contract of employment from your employer in Canada before you apply for a work permit.
    Your employer may need to get a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to hire you. This is a document from the Government of Canada that gives your employer permission to hire a foreign worker.
  • You will also need to provide evidence that you meet the requirements of the job offer.
  • If you are applying for an open work permit, you do not need to provide a written job offer with your application.
    Open work permits can only be issued to:
  • accompanying spouses and common-law partners in certain cases,
  • accompanying dependent children in certain cases.
  • participants in International Experience Canada (working holiday).

Some jobs do not require a work permit. If you are a citizen of a country that requires a temporary resident visa to enter Canada, you will need to apply for a visa if you do not need a work permit.

Where to Apply
You normally have to apply for a work permit from outside Canada. Sometimes, you can apply as you enter Canada or from inside Canada, but many of the requirements are the same. How you apply and how long it will take to process your application depends on the kind of work you will do when you come to Canada.

You must apply for a work permit outside of Canada if:

  • you or your accompanying dependents need a temporary resident visa, or
  • your accompanying children (6-18 years old) need a study permit, or
  • you or your accompanying dependents require a medical examination, or
  • you are participating in International Experience Canada, or
  • you will be working as a live-in caregiver, or you will be working as a seasonal agricultural worker, or
  • you or your accompanying dependents have been convicted of a criminal offence.

You must meet the requirements to:

  • enter the country,
  • stay in Canada and
  • get a work permit.

This means that you may also need a visitor visa.

Documentation & Language
Submitted documents must be in English, French and Spanish. Documents in other languages must be accompanied by a certified translation. Failure to submit all required documentation may result in the refusal of your application or processing delays. False statements or submission of fraudulent documents will result in immediate refusal and potentially legal action. 

If your spouse/common-law partner and/or children wishes to accompany you in Canada, they need to apply for their own Work permit, Study Permit or Temporary Resident Visa.

Required documentation:

  • Application form Application for Work Permit made Outside of Canada
  • Family Information Form (IMM 5645)
  • Two (2) passport photographs
  • Processing fee in the acceptable format.
  • Valid passport - there must be one completely blank page available other than the last page. Visa validity will coincide with the work permit validity or passport validity whichever is shorter as the visa cannot be valid beyond the passport validity.
  • A copy of the Labour Market Opinion (LMO) provided by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC), if applicable.
  • Your job offer or contract from your prospective employer giving your job title, wages and working conditions.
  • Proof indicating you meet the requirements of the job being offered such as employment references outlining previous jobs and job duties, copies of relevant education certificates, proof of professional qualifications.
  • Proof of financial support to cover the expenses for the duration of your visit.

Student Work Permit:
It is possible to work in Canada while you are living in Canada as a student. In some cases, you will need to apply for a student work permit.

As of June 1, 2014, you may qualify to work off campus without a work permit. If you qualify, your study permit will allow you to:

  • work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions
  • work full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.

Work as a Co–op Student or Intern:
For some academic programs, work experience is part of the curriculum. Foreign students who wish to participate in a co-op or internship program must apply for a work permit as well as a study permit.

Stay and Work in Canada after Graduation:
To work in Canada after you graduate, you must apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP). If you want to stay in Canada as a permanent resident after you graduate, there are a number of programs available, each with its own requirements.

Links to Related Information:

Embassy Contact Information:
Contact the nearest Embassy / Consulate for Canada for the most up-to-date information on what documentation you specifically may require to enter Canada.

Disclaimer: The contents of this page and other such web pages on this website are provided in good faith as a general information guide only, and the use of this website as an information resource or other is at the viewer/user's sole risk. While every effort is made in presenting up-to-date and accurate information, no responsibility or liability is accepted by the owners to this website for any errors, omissions, outdated or misleading information on these pages or any other website to which these pages connect or are linked.

Source & Copyright: The source of the above visa and immigration information and copyright owner/s is the:

  • Citizenship and Immigration Canada – URL:

The viewer/user of this web page should use the above information as a guideline only, and should always contact the above sources or the user's own government representatives for the most up-to-date information at that moment in time, before making a final decision to travel to that country or destination.

Sponsored Links
Traveler's Guide
Sponsored Links