Belgium Visa Requirements: Belgian visa application form information on Belgium visas for travel, tourist visa, visitor / transit visa, student visa. Belgian embassy address, information on Belgium immigration procedures for US citizens, Canadians, Indians, Australians, UK, EU citizens.

Belgium Visa Information

Learn4good provides general information on study, travel, work visa and business visa requirements and the addresses of embassies worldwide. You should contact your local embassy or consulate for the most up-to-date information or visa forms.

For Hotels, Hostels, Car Hire, Jobs and Schools in this country, see the menu options above. See our Travel Forum to create a travel topic and ask questions to fellow travelers.

Who requires a visa?
Today, twenty-two EU countries (Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden), plus Norway, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Iceland and Switzerland fully apply the provisions of the Schengen acquis and may move freely. They may stay in Belgium on the strength of a national passport or identity card, and proof that they are members of a health scheme and that they have sufficient means of support (for example an employment contract).

Bulgaria, Cyprus, and Romania are not yet fully-fledged members of the Schengen area, since the border controls between them and the Schengen area are maintained until the EU Council decides that the conditions for abolishing internal border controls have been met. However, since the date of accession they do apply parts of the Schengen acquis, in particular in the area of police and judicial cooperation and of external border control.
The United Kingdom and Ireland have chosen to maintain border controls with other EU countries and are therefore outside the Schengen area (although they have been authorised to apply some of the provisions on police and judicial co-operation in criminal matters).

Other aliens, i.e. nationals of any countries other than those referred to above, wishing to stay in Belgium for longer than three months require a long-term visa.

Applications for this type of visa may be made only to the Belgian diplomatic or consular authorities competent for the applicant’s place of residence.

Specific procedures are laid down for a certain number of situations, i.e. studies, employment purposes, self-employment, family reunification, cohabitation, adoption and a visa for marriage in Belgium.

All other individual cases will be examined by the Aliens’ Office on a case-by-case basis.

The application must, moreover, be submitted in due time to allow the Aliens’ Office to conduct an investigation if required.
Upon their arrival in Belgium, aliens must report to the municipal authorities of their place of residence.

Important notes:

1. Official documents drawn up in a language other than French, Dutch, English or German must be translated by a sworn translator;

2. Foreign official documents (originals and translations) shall be presented, after their legalisation by the local authorities, to the competent Belgian diplomatic authorities. The latter will make the legalisations and true copies for administrative purposes. The originals will be returned to the applicants.

What documents will be required?
When travelling into Belgium you may be asked to present one or more of the following documents:
– a hotel reservation
– return ticket or some form of proof that you have sufficient funds to cover your visit (e.g. cash, cheques or credit cards that are accepted in Belgium or an original financial support certificate initialled by the respective embassy or consulate).

1. General regulations governing higher education
In order to receive authorisation for temporary residence, an individual planning to come to Belgium to study will be required to provide the Belgian Embassy or Consulate in his/her country with: a certificate of good conduct, a medical certificate and the following documents :

- a duly completed application form (provided by the local diplomatic or consular authorities)

- an admission or enrolment certificate for one of the recognised higher education establishments, grant-maintained or organised by the authority, or an application for an equivalence certificate for a diploma or certificate conferred abroad (only required for French Community education). The entry certificate or enrolment certificate must cover a full-time course of study (fewer hours are acceptable if the interested party can prove that this course of study will represent his/her main activity and will be used to prepare or complement another full-time course of study);

- or an enrolment certificate concerning examinations for entering university when these examinations represent the condition for admission to the course in question: particularly the examination testing knowledge of the French language which is required to be entitled to study in French-speaking universities; the examination of qualification for civil engineering studies; the entry examination for medical or dentistry studies at a Dutch-speaking university;

- or an entry or enrolment certificate for a teaching establishment appearing on the list of approved establishments updated each academic year by the Aliens’ Office;

- evidence that the person applying to study in Belgium has sufficient means of support. This evidence may be established by the following documents:

- a certificate issued by either an international organisation or a national authority, or by a Belgian or foreign legal person with a sufficient level of income. The certificate must state that the aspiring foreign student has received or will soon receive a grant or loan that is sufficient to cover his/her health care, subsistence, studies and repatriation expenses;

- a declaration in respect of the Belgian State and in respect of the student, signed by a Belgian or alien with a sufficient level of income, in which the said person undertakes to accept responsibility for the subsistence, study and repatriation expenses of the foreign student for not less than one academic year;

- a medical certificate issued by a doctor approved by the embassy, stating that the foreign student is not suffering from certain illnesses and does not have certain disabilities;

- if the interested party is over 21, a certificate of good conduct and a document certifying that he/she has not been convicted of any criminal act under common law.

- Visa applicants must be aware that the documents referred to only constitute the basic documents that have to be submitted in every case. Other additional documents may be required by the Belgian diplomatic or consular representation, taking into account the circumstances relating to the file or to the specific context of the applicant’s country of origin.
The interested party must obviously have a travel document (passport) valid for at least one year.

2. Special procedure for primary and secondary school education
Application must be made to the Aliens’ Office and the following two conditions must also be met:
– the applicant must have family ties (up to the 3rd degree, i.e. grandparents, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, cousin) with a person who is a legal resident of Belgium;
– the interested party must be unable to pursue the same type of education in his/her own country or in a neighbouring country.

Time required to issue visa:
48 hours to 8 weeks, depending on nationality and resident status, and whether applying by post or in person. Certain nationals must apply in person (contact Consulate or Consular section at Embassy for further details).

How do I apply?
You should apply for your visa in person at the relevant Belgian embassy or consulate in your country of residence.
If there is no Belgian embassy or consulate in your country of residence, you should apply to the Belgian embassy responsible for that country (usually located in a neighbouring country). This embassy will also tell you if you can submit your visa application in your country of residence via the embassy of another Schengen country.

If you are travelling, you can apply for a short-stay (up to 90 days) visa at the Belgian embassy or consulate of the country you are in at the time. In this case, your application must be submitted to the Immigration Service at FPS Home Affairs for its decision, which may take some time. This option does not exist for long-stay (over 90 days) visa applications.

What is the cost of a visa?
You should apply for your visa in person at the relevant Belgian embassy or consulate in your country of residence.
If there is no Belgian embassy or consulate in your country of residence, you should apply to the Belgian embassy responsible for that country (usually located in a neighbouring country). This embassy will also tell you if you can submit your visa application in your country of residence via the embassy of another Schengen country.

If you are travelling, you can apply for a short-stay (up to 90 days) visa at the Belgian embassy or consulate of the country you are in at the time. In this case, your application must be submitted to the Immigration Service at FPS Home Affairs for its decision, which may take some time. This option does not exist for long-stay (over 90 days) visa applications.

How long is the visa valid for?
Short-stay (single- and multiple-entry): usually valid for 6 months from date of issue for stays of maximum 30 or 90 days per entry. Transit (single- and multiple-entry): valid for a maximum of 5 days per entry, including the day of arrival. Visas cannot be extended and a new application must be made each time.

Other information:
The type of visa you need will depend on the length and purpose of your trip. When you apply for your visa, the embassy or consulate will be able to tell you what type of visa you require.

The following types of visa exist:
Type A Schengen visa: airport transit visa
You can normally stay in the international transit area at the airport without a visa whilst you wait for your connecting flight. However, some nationalities require a visa to do this, even if they do not leave the international transit area. The airport transit visa only authorises the bearer to transit through the airport’s international area.

Type B Schengen visa
This visa is valid for transit through one or more Schengen countries on the way from one non-Schengen country to another non-Schengen country. The transit may last no longer than five days.

Type C Schengen visa
This visa allows the bearer to enter the territory of the Schengen countries for a maximum stay of 90 days in a six-month period. The visa may be issued for one or more entries.

Type D visa
This is a national visa for a stay exceeding 90 days. It is only valid in Belgium, but can also be used for transit through one or more Schengen countries.

Type D + C visa
This visa entitles you to travel freely within the Schengen area during the first three months after your entry into Belgium, while you wait to receive your official residence permit.

What is the Schengen Agreement?
The Schengen Agreement or Schengen Convention, named after the town in Luxembourg where the agreement was drawn up, was signed on 14 June 1985 by Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Germany and France, but only came into force 10 years later. By that time, the Agreement had also been signed by Austria, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Norway, Portugal, Spain and Sweden.
Starting 21 December 2007 : Estonia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia.

The Schengen Agreement allows EU citizens to travel within the Schengen area without being subject to police controls. The Agreement, which was included in the Treaty of Amsterdam in 1997, also provides for tougher controls on the EU’s external borders, harmonisation of visa and asylum policy and closer cooperation between legal and police services. The United Kingdom and Ireland are not part of the Schengen area but Iceland and Norway are, through the Nordic Passport Union.

Can I use my visa to travel out of the Schengen area and back in again?
A normal Schengen visa is only valid for a single entry into the Schengen area . Consequently, once inside the Schengen area, you cannot travel to another country outside the Schengen area and back again. For example, if you have a Schengen visa for a trip to Belgium and wish to spend several days in the United Kingdom and then return to Belgium, it is not possible to do so if you only have a single entry marked on your Schengen visa.

In some instances, a Schengen visa with multiple entries may be requested from the outset from the embassy or consulate. However, you will need to justify the fact that you require multiple entries.

If the visa is valid for multiple entries, this will be clearly indicated on the visa sticker. Such visas allow you to enter and leave the Schengen area several times (the number indicated on the visa) within the period of validity of the visa (i.e. the dates indicated on the visa under ‘from’ and ‘until’). However, the total length of the stay may not exceed the number of days indicated under ‘duration of stay’. In no event may the total stay exceed 90 days within any six-month period.

Is my visa only valid for Belgium?
Most short-stay visas issued by Belgian embassies and consulates are Schengen visas. These are clearly marked with the word ‘Schengen’.

A Schengen visa is valid for the territory of all Schengen countries and entitles the holder to stay in the Schengen area for a maximum of 90 days within a six-month period starting from the date of the first entry into the area.

If you have received a visa which is only valid for Belgium or the Benelux countries (i.e. Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg) or which is not valid for one or more Schengen countries, this will be clearly indicated on the visa.

What do I have to do to extend my visa in Belgium?
All questions linked to extending your stay in Belgium should be addressed to the municipality of your place of residence in Belgium. However, it is only possible to have your visa extended in exceptional circumstances that could not have been foreseen at the time you made the visa application.

When you arrived in Belgium, you should have registered (lien FAQ que dois-je faire à mon arrivée en Belgique) at the municipality and been issued with a declaration of arrival. On the basis of this document, it may be possible to have the visa extended via the municipality, who must seek authorisation from the Immigration Service at FPS Home Affairs.

Even if you were not required to register with the municipality (because you were staying at a hotel, camp site or youth hostel, or were being admitted to a hospital or prison), you must contact the municipality of your place of residence if you wish to extend your stay.

For further information, please consult the municipality or the Immigration Service’s Visa Extension Department

Embassy contact information:

Please contact the nearest Belgium Embassy for information on what documentation you may require to enter Belgium.

Disclaimer: The contents of these pages are provided as an information guide only, in good faith. The use of this website is at the viewer/user’s sole risk. While every effort is made in presenting up-to-date and accurate information, no responsibility or liability is accepted by the owners to this website for any errors, omissions, outdated or misleading information on these pages or any site to which these pages connect or are linked.

Source & Copyright: The source of the above visa and immigration information and copyright owner/s is the:
– FPS Foreign Affairs, Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation – URL:

The viewer/user of this web page should use the above information as a guideline only, and should always contact the above sources or the user’s own government representatives for the most up-to-date information at that moment in time, before making a final decision to travel to that country or destination.