The English Language Institute at Notre Dame of Maryland University:
Study English at a top university campus in the United States! Join one of our eight-week sessions at the English Language Institute at Notre Dame of Maryland University to greatly improve your English language skills. Located just 15 minutes north of Downtown Baltimore (on the beautiful East Coast), we provide 8-week, full-time & part-time intensive English programs for non-native English speakers and international students. Students at all levels take classes in speaking, pronunciation, vocabulary, grammar, listening, reading, writing, and TOEFL preparation.
Intensive English Language Program:
Duration: 8 weeks, High Beginner to Advanced Levels, with Full-time & Part-time options
There are 4 to 5 levels of English available for most courses. Students are placed into their correct level based on placement test results taken at the beginning of the study session.
Classes are small to ensure an optimal learning environment (The average size is 10-12 students per class, and English is used at all times).
Modules / Units include:
• Listening & Speaking
• Writing & Grammar
• Reading & Discussion
• TOEFL Test Preparation
Writing & Grammar:
Students learn the fundamentals of English structure with a focus on practical application in writing at the sentence, paragraph, and essay level.
Through the various levels, students learn to write following Western academic styles. A focus on editing and self-correction is used at the higher Writing & Grammar levels.
Reading & Discussion:
Students learn skills and strategies that improve accuracy and speed in reading comprehension and build vocabulary. Reading sources come from fiction and non-fiction sources such as magazines, newspapers, essays, short stories, and novels.
Authentic materials as well as materials designed for ESL (English as a Second Language) are used. Critical thinking skills are emphasized to discuss readings.
Discussion and writing are used as means of assessing and responding to the reading assignments.
Listening & Speaking:
Students build confidence in speaking through fluency in speech and accuracy in both listening and speaking. Speaking skills that focus on being able to communicate clearly and effectively are refined.
Because classes are multicultural, students are able to build their skills quickly and accurately.
Discussions range around a variety of high-interest topics, and both formal and informal speech is emphasized. In addition, idiomatic language is taught as a key component to understanding native speech.
Students build vocabulary with a focus on using words in context both in writing and speaking. Higher-level classes emphasize learning structures of English vocabulary and skills to be able decode and learn new words independently.
Students become more intelligible to other English speakers by focusing on specific sounds and patterns of Standard American English. Assignments in the Language Learning Center are a part of this course.
Students who qualify may take our TOEFL Preparation class designed to assist them in preparing for and improving their score in the TOEFL Test. This class is limited to students who score well on a TOEFL placement test given during the initial orientation.
Further English Courses:
• Summer English classes (Full-time & part-time study options)
Student Reviews / Testimonials:
• "After learning English at ELI, I have made big progress in English listening, speaking, reading and writing. My TOEFL score progressed from 490 to 567.
The teachers here are very nice. They organize lots of activities which help us to understand American culture.."
• "To study in the English Language Institute is a wonderful opportunity in my life! I am learning a second language and interacting with many people from different cultures.
I just want to say “thank you” to the Congregation of School Sisters of Notre Dame and to all teachers and staff at ELI."
Sister Mirian, Brazil
• "This university gave me an opportunity in life. They not only taught me the knowledge of English, but they encouraged me how to be good mannered and learned about american culture. Classes and activities were very interesting which I was always happy to join. I will never forget this lovely place."
• "The experience I had at the ELI helped me to learn many new things, to become independent... I learned what happens in other cultures and in the United States. For me, the ELI is a big family because we share our knowledge, our cultures, our feelings.
The six months I spent here helped me to improve my English, to learn many others things... I had an excellent experience at the ELI with the support of my teachers, my classmates and all the community. Thank you for your assistance and your help."
• "O instituto de ingles (ELI) da Universidade de Notre Dame localizada em Baltimore (U.S), foi uma das experiencias mais fantasticas da minha vida. Me senti em casa, as pessoas da Universidade foram como uma familia para mim e me receberam muito bem, assim como recebem a todos. Vim pra estudar ingles e acabei aprendendo um pouco de cada cultura, afinal tem pessoas de varios lugares do mundo estudando no ELI.
O grupo de profissionais e professores sao excelentes, gracas a todos e a mim mesma aprendi minha segunda lingua, o Ingles. Eu sei que a qualquer momento que eu voltar pra America, eu vou ter sempre a minha "familia" me esperando de bracos abertos, e espero sempre voltar. Foi incrivel, Obrigada!"
Specific Contact Pages: - TOEFL Prep Classes
|Address: 4701 North Charles Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21210, USA|
|Search schools here by state/city for Alabama, Arizona-Phoenix, Arkansas, California-LA County/Bay Area, Colorado-Denver, Florida-Miami-Dade, Georgia-Atlanta, Illinois-Chicago/Cook County, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mass-Boston, Michigan, Minnesota-Minneapolis, Mississippi, Missouri-St Louis, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio-Cleveland, Oklahoma, Oregon-Portland, South Carolina, South Dakota, Pennsylvania-Philadelphia, Tennessee, Texas-Houston/Dallas, Utah, Virginia, Washington-Seattle, Wisconsin-Milwaukee & more...
Search career colleges in Canada by province/city in Abbotsford, Burnaby, Kelowna, Surrey, Victoria, Vancouver, BC, Hamilton, Kitchener, London, Ottawa, Toronto, Ontario, Calgary, Edmonton, Alberta, Winnipeg, Manitoba & more...
© 2003-2019 Learn4Good Ltd: Site listing Education Programs, Career Training & Jobs worldwide.