English for Law - Books & Resources
List of books that contain English-language definitions and descriptions of international and foreign legal terms and concepts:
There are many dictionaries and encyclopedias devoted to specific international topics as well (for example, Dictionary of International Trade or Encyclopedia of Human Rights).
1. Bledsoe and Boczek, The International Law Dictionary (Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 1987) .
2. Plano and Olton, The International Relations Dictionary (4th ed., Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 1988) .
3. Lindbergh, International Law Dictionary (London: Blackstone Press, 1992) .
4. Osmanczyk, The Encyclopedia of the United Nations and International Relations (2nd ed., NY: Taylor & Francis, 1990) .
5. Parry, Parry and Grant Encyclopaedic Dictionary of International Law (New York: Oceana, 1986) .
6. Encyclopedia of Public International Law (Amsterdam: North Holland, 12 vols., 1981-1990) and the new edition (1992-) .
7. Fox, Dictionary of International and Comparative Law (Dobbs Ferry, NY: Oceana, 1997) .
8. Bennett, Historical Dictionary of the United Nations (London: Scarecrow Press, 1995) .
9. International Law Dictionary and Directory (definitions of words and phrases used in private and public international law with cross-references (by link) to related words and phrases) .
10. International Law, Encyclopaedia Britannica Online.
11. Treaty Reference Guide and Glossary of Terms Related to Treaty Actions .
12. Zimmerman's Research Guide, An Online Encyclopedia for Legal Researchers by Andrew Zimmerman .
1. Herbst, Dictionary of Commercial, Financial and Legal Terms (4th rev.& enl. ed., Thun, Switzerland: Translegal, 1985-87) .
2. West's Law and Commercial Dictionary in Five Languages: Definitions of the Legal and Commercial Terms and Phrases of American, English and Civil Law Jurisdictions (St. Paul, MN: West, 1985) .
3. English-French-Spanish-Russian Manual of the Terminology of Public International Law (Law of Peace) and International Organizations, (Brussels: Bruylant ; Deventer, The Netherlands : Kluwer, 1983) .
4. LEXIS provides access to Dahl's French-English Law Dictionary and Dahl's Spanish-English Law Dictionary. We have these dictionaries in print as well.
5. YourDictionary.com Access to a number of foreign language dictionaries. Some law dictionaries are available as well
Background Information on an International or Foreign Law Concept
1. Osmanczyk, The Encyclopedia of the United Nations and International Relations (2nd ed., NY: Taylor & Francis, 1990)
2. Parry, Parry and Grant Encyclopaedic Dictionary of International Law (New York: Oceana, 1986). .
3. Encyclopedia of Public International Law (Amsterdam: North Holland, 12 vols., 1981-1990) and the new edition (1992-) .
4. International Encyclopedia of Comparative Law (New York: Oceana) .
5. Martindale Hubbell International Law Digest (New Providence, NJ :
Martindale-Hubbell,1993- ) . Also available on LEXIS (INTLAW library; INTDIG file).
6. Restatement of the Law, Third, Foreign Relations Law of the United States (Philadelphia, PA: The American Law Institute, 1987 & Supp. 1998). Also available on LEXIS and WESTLAW.
7. Yearbook of the United Nations (Norwell, MA: Kluwer, 1947- ).
8. Rengger and Campbell, Treaties and Alliances of the World (6th ed., London: Catermill, 1995) .